PDA

View Full Version : New Yankee Workshop on KERA in Dallas

Herb Blair
01-23-2005, 4:57 PM
Anyone know why KERA is still running re-runs of NYWS, when PBS just aired the 3rd episode of the new season?
Last year it seemed like they started running the new shows a couple of weeks after the season started on PBS.

Russ Massery
01-23-2005, 5:50 PM
Don't know but my local my station took it off completely:mad:. We have one other pbs station that still showing it:). I would email your local station and find out why.

Russ

Randy Meijer
01-24-2005, 4:57 AM
I suspect it might be economics. They laid off a bunch of people because of a budget crunch not too long ago. I bet they decided not to spend the money to buy the new shows.

Perry Schmidt
01-24-2005, 10:43 AM
Because Dallas PBS people are idiots... I swear they have fund raisers every other month, they last weeks and during that time they don't play normal programming, but the 'popular shows'. They usually play the new shows at least once throughout the year, but you never know when, and I've never seen them repeat - i.e. you miss the original broadcast, you missed it - you'll have better luck catching it on HGTV.

I wrote a letter to them once and asked why they didn't show then and got some very lame excuse, but it's basically because they are in 'fund raising mode/shows' about 1/2 the time. I'm not impressed with Dallas local PBS on many levels, this just being one of them. They don't take viewer feedback very well either. I went round and round and round with them for almost three years trying to get 'a good answer' to this an a few other questions, and they really were very rude and unwilling to listen to anything I had to say/ask. It was very frustrating.

Can't say about other PBS stations, but Minnesota and Iowa PBS are very well done from what I've seen and heard from relatives. If you live there, count your PBS blessings :)

FYI -

Perry

Herb Blair
01-24-2005, 3:54 PM
Sounds like they may not be serving the public's interest, in which case the FCC can take away their license. I've lived in the Dallas metroplex for 38 years and KERA has always been this way. Maybe it's time we file a protest, cause I am the public.

Teresa Jones
01-24-2005, 4:08 PM
Herb,

According the schedule on the KERA website, the new season starts on January 29 at 3:00pm with episode 1701, which is the Hall Mirror Program according to the NYW website.

The schedule isn't posted beyond that, so I don't know if episode 1702 will air the next Saturday or not.

TJ

Carl Eyman
01-24-2005, 5:33 PM
In New Orleans it is the same thing. They haven't started new season yet either, but that is what they've done every year.

Herb Blair
01-24-2005, 7:01 PM
thanks TJ.

Perry Schmidt
01-24-2005, 10:47 PM
Hey Herb - I'm all for a protest :)

I think NYW started a lot later than other PBS stations last year too. Then 3-4 shows inot the season they have about a month long 'pledge campaign' and were showing favorite shows all day on the weekends - i.e. not NYW. Wasn't til other PBS stations were in 'reruns' that they started showing new shows again.

(Needless to say I'm frustrated w/ Dallas PBS...)

Perry