PDA

View Full Version : Unisaw 36-816 right tilt

Craig Ryder
03-08-2011, 7:44 AM
I have a chance to buy a used Unisaw for $700 (about 12 years old.) I have been using a much smaller portable saw. I am a hobbyist and fairly new at it. The Unisaw is in great shape and has been used sparingly for personal use. I have been watching the local market for about 6 months and this is the best deal I've seen. The only issue is that it is right tilt. I have read a few things about right tilt but have not used one much. Is right tilt a major issue/deal killer?

Thanks,

Craig

Cary Falk
03-08-2011, 8:45 AM
I grew up with right tilts. I currently have a left tilt. I don't tilt the blade that much. It's a big deal for some. Me, not so much.

Chris True
03-08-2011, 8:46 AM
I don't think so, you can always move the fence to the left side of the blade for a bevel cut. I only ever bother if it is a particularly narrow board. To me, for the 99.5% of non-bevel cuts right tilt is better because your fence tape gives accurate measurement no matter what blade or dado stack is on the arbor...

Right tilt Uni owner.

Don Morris
03-08-2011, 8:56 AM
Also a serious hobbyist. I have a left tilt Grizzly 1023SL (L is for Left), bought after I had a right tilt contractor saw. The 1023 is a sort of clone of the Unisaw. That's how good a design the Unisaw was/is. I'm not an expert on older Unisaw's value. The Left tilt has some small advantage IMHO. When I was looking for a lower cost left tilt cabinet saw and someone offered me a great shape right tilt Unisaw for about the same price I paid for the 1023...that would have been a hard decision. Certainly not a deal breaker to me. A lot of great stuff has been made on that machine.

Chip Lindley
03-08-2011, 9:47 AM
Just the opposite, Craig! IMO, left-tilt is the only drawback of "regular" Unisaws. Right-tilt is preferred for ripping on a bevel with the fence to the right of the blade. 99% of most TS work is done with the blade at 90 deg. anyway. Although I have 2 LT Unisaws, I love my RT PM66!

Scott Shuman
03-08-2011, 9:52 AM
I have a similar vintage Unisaw ('95) and IMHO it would be hard to beat the great deal on a great saw. As Chris mentioned, you can move the fence over to the left for bevel cutting (which I very seldom do). And if after using the saw for a while you decide you still want that left tilt you can easily sell the Uni with probably no loss and maybe a gain. Tough deal to beat.

Sean Nagle
03-08-2011, 10:43 AM
I have a '94 right-tilt Unisaw which has been a workhorse all these years.

Right tilt hasn't been too much of an issue. Wider boards can be bevel-ripped with the fence on the right. Narrow boards, will require moving the fence to the left which is easy enough to do.

I know that left tilt is all the rage these days, but back in the day, the big benefit of a right-tilt saw was that the width of the blade did not nullify the accuracy of the fence cursor. With a left-tilt saw, once the fence cursor was dialed-in, changing from a regular kerf blade to a thin kerf blade or even to a dado blade would require recalibrating the fence cursor or using your tape measure to "eye" the setting..

That's a decent price for one.

Craig Ryder
03-08-2011, 11:01 AM
Thanks everyone for the feedback. The Grizzly G0715P (their new Polar Bear series) was the alternative I was looking at for $160 more. That kind of $$ is not an issue when it comes to convenience, set-up ,safety, etc in a table saw. Based on what I hear I think I will go with the Delta Unisaw. I have to move soon on it as the seller already has a waiting line of about 6 guys from Craig's List if I don't grab it.

Thanks Again. Its really nice for someone new to all of this to have this board as a resource! I have been reading here for some time but don't post much. If any one else has any thoughts it is appreciated.

Cheers,