PDA

View Full Version : Is this Speed Jigsaw worth the price??

sunny nic
03-08-2011, 1:38 AM
Hi, fellas. Was wondering what kind of Jigsaw do u guys use? I would begin a kitchen and bathroom renovation. So a nice Jigsaw is necessary, right? I've just looked into this Speed Jigsaw (http://www.dealstudio.com/searchdeals.php?type=id&q=d230944&ru=28904480). Anyone ever has hand on experience on it? How about it's blade design and overall performance? I hadn't used a jigsaw in years actually. It's hard for me to judge...(My budget is a little tight, less than 100 bucks)
Any thoughts??

Robert Chapman
03-08-2011, 7:49 AM
I like a barrel grip jigsaw for better control. I have a Bosch and really like it. The Bosch 1591 EVSL is such a saw. But it will cost you about $200 not $100. You generally get what you pay for in tools.

glenn bradley
03-08-2011, 9:14 AM
Many folks will respond with how much they love their Bosch 1590 or 1591 (me included). If you don't like the price tag, the DeWalts are reportedly rugged enough for a lot of work and lots of people like them.

Lee Schierer
03-08-2011, 9:26 AM
I have a Bosch Barrel grip and absolutely love it. It is well worth the price. With the progressor blades I can get cuts that are nearly splinter free and rival the smoothness of cuts made with a quality blade on a TS. With an edge guide you can make perfectly straight cuts in 3/4" ply with no problem.

I used to have a B&D jig saw for many years. It was okay, but made lots of noise, didn't cut all that well and had a habit of letting the blades work loose. Go to your local retail outlet and try oth side by side. See if they will plug them in and let you listen to them run. I think you'll like the Bosch best. If you buy the Bosch you'll likely never purchase another jigsaw.

Joe Angrisani
03-08-2011, 10:19 AM
Since Bosch has replaced the 1590 saw, has anyone used it's replacement, the JS470E?

Andrew Pitonyak
03-08-2011, 10:26 AM
Many folks will respond with how much they love their Bosch 1590 or 1591 (me included). If you don't like the price tag, the DeWalts are reportedly rugged enough for a lot of work and lots of people like them.

I agree.... I had another model Bosch that I disliked so much I gave it away. What did I dislike about it? Changing the blades. Never got past that... I have a 1590 and changing blades is trivial and fast.

Andrew Teich
03-08-2011, 10:32 AM
I have been reading up on jigsaws as well and would like to get a Barrel Grip Bosch but must also respect the budget. Menards has a Bosch Jigsaw on special for 84. It is a top handle and the ad is valid until 3/20. I don't know what model it is since they don't say in the ad but I will check it out when I visit the store this week if they have it in stock. The only barrel grips that are locally available here are the RIGID Fuego Compact (non-variable speed for 99 at HD, 2 favorable reviews at HD website) and the Rockwell Contour (variable speed, usually 90 at Menards, no reviews anywhere).

Does anybody have any experience with the Rockwell or RIGID jigsaws?

The New JS version of the Bosch Barrel grip is not available locally and is about 150 online while the older model 1591 is around 200 online. The reviews for the 1591 are wonderful on Amazon while the new JS is mixed with one saying the Bosch rep told them that for accuracy the 1591 should have been purchased?!?

The Amazon reviews for that Dewalt are not good, half of the reviewers gave it one star. I think that says something about the product.
Perhaps others could chime in on other options for the OP at or less than 100.

Edit: Menards sale model is JS260 for 84, also JS470E for 134.

glenn bradley
03-08-2011, 10:47 AM
I can get cuts that are nearly splinter free and rival the smoothness of cuts made with a quality blade on a TS.

:potential threadjack:

It's just plain spooky, ain't it. I have almost posted pics of crosscuts that come out glass smooth with this jigsaw, they're so shocking.

:end potential threadjack:

Greg R Bradley
03-08-2011, 12:36 PM
I also had an old Bosch 1590 and loved it. I didn't completely realize how good it was until I tried to use something else. I bought a Dewalt cordless so that I would have extra batteries for my Dewalt cordless vacuum and a jig saw to use when I needed cordless. The first time I needed cordless, I found I couldn't do what I needed to do. With hindsight, I can now see that what I was doing was going to result in disaster. I didn't fall in the ocean with the 1590 in my hand but it ended up at the bottom of the harbor.

I bought a 1591 to replace it since that seemed to be what everyone raved about. I never did care for it, primarily due to the way the switch works since you don't have a trigger on a barrel grip jig saw. I sold it. I got a Festool jigsaw for Christmas. I've used it a couple times and it is nice.

I looked at the newer JS series Bosch units and the newest version of the 1590/1591, which is a different model number only due to it coming in the new style cases. The 1590 in the new case is $200. Lowes had the one in the old case on sale as a "discontinued" model for $139. I bought it a few days ago. I really think it is funny that they would sell them at a low price as a discontinued model when the only difference is the case. I don't think I would pay $20 extra for the new case, let alone $60.

I'm going to sell the barely used Dewalt cordless and the Festool jig saw. Nothing wrong with the Festool one except it isn't worth the extra $125 I can get for it to use for something else.

The less expensive Bosch jigsaws look OK, but they are way less tool than the 1590/1590.

Mike Schuch
03-08-2011, 4:40 PM
I have a Bosch barrel grip and like it but really miss having a trigger. Before buying my Bosch I borrowed my friends Dewalt several times and was very pleased with it... I could not find anything to complain about on it. It was a very sound and capable tool.

I would have on qualms about buying the saw you linked to.

sunny nic
03-09-2011, 3:16 AM
I like a barrel grip jigsaw for better control. I have a Bosch and really like it. The Bosch 1591 EVSL is such a saw. But it will cost you about $200 not $100. You generally get what you pay for in tools.

So, I should increase my budget??