PDA

View Full Version : Laminated Designs in Wood

Jim Colombo
03-07-2011, 10:11 PM
Malcom Tibbetts recommended this book by Clarence Rannefeld in his videos. I did a search on the title and found a number of sites that listed a pdf download of the book for free. I find that hard to believe.
Has anyone tried using any of these type of sites? Is it even legal? I mean, aren't there copyright laws to protect the author from this type of thing? What do you guys think?

Malcolm Tibbetts
03-07-2011, 10:21 PM
Jim, it is hard to believe that people would stoop to ripping off books like that. My own book, The Art of Segmented Woodturning, was offered a while back as a free download; the publisher got it stopped. I think the sites that offer this type of free download do it as a way to sucker you into to something else.

By the way, Clarence's book, while "out of print" can usually be found at the rare book sites, but the cost can range up to $100.

Steve Vaughan
03-07-2011, 11:03 PM
If this is the same book, you can get it used for $40.00 on Amazon. Put the title in the search bar on Amazon. There's another one for $98.00. Agreed, I think those are some sites that are wanting to pull you in for other reasons.

Brian Effinger
03-07-2011, 11:06 PM
Definitely illegal. Any site (unless it is the publisher's) that lets you download a book, or movie, etc. is risky. Not only illegal, but you could get a computer virus for your trouble.

You could always check your local library, unless you want to spend that kind of money. I know I wouldn't part with mine, which is probably why they're so expensive. Good luck.

John Terefenko
03-08-2011, 10:00 AM
I just recieved a copy yesterday. I got mine from Amazon.com of the UK. It was $38 It took awhile to arrive but well worth the wait. It is not for the beginner and does require you have a woodworking background because it does not go into all the little details but is a great book.

Montgomery Scott
03-08-2011, 10:09 AM
I bought that book while it was still in print a number of years ago. It's a great resource that opens up an almost infinite number of design permutations. I don't think there is another book like it.

Jim Colombo
03-08-2011, 12:13 PM
Yes, this is the book that you can get on Amazon for $40 and I did get that in my search. By the way, Malcom, your book is no slouch either.