PDA

View Full Version : Sharp Fast Sharpening System

Jerry Marcantel
03-07-2011, 8:46 PM
Does anyone at SMC have this system? Their ad states that it's compatible with the Wolverine base. www.hartville.com/product/12967 (http://www.hartville.com/product/12967)
I just recieved a 1/2" V gouge from Doug thompson, and would like to get a good sharpening system rather than use my homemade one. Doug states he uses the Wolverine system because it works. Looking at the Sharpfast, it looks safer to use, yet still does the same???? Yes?? No?????? Help.. Jerry (in Tucson)

Rich Aldrich
03-07-2011, 8:53 PM
Jerry,

I have the Sharp Fast. It is a good system and works with the Wolverine base. You could also look at the Vari Grind II which is a safer version of the Vari Grind I. It is guided so the gouge wont slip off the grinding wheel.

You do not get an identical grind with the Sharpfast as you do with the Vari Grind. At least I havent found how to set it up so you get the same grind that Doug gets with the Vari Grind I.

Harry Robinette
03-08-2011, 12:24 AM
Jerry
From what I just seen of the Sharpfast system your not getting 2 bases and for $109.00 its only 1base,and the gouge unit.Wolvarine is @$90.00 for 2 bases long arm and platform,Vari-grind another @$55.00 seems like more for the money and WELL do repeatable grinds every time...Yes I've been using the wolvarine for @ 10 years or so.
PS:wolvarine also does,parting tool,skew,scrapers,allot of the hollowing and coring tools.

Faust M. Ruggiero
03-08-2011, 6:46 AM
Jerry,
I have one. It works fine but I also own a Vari-grind 2 and an Ellsworth jig. I use the Ellsworth jig for my 5/8" gouge because that's the only tool that fits in it. I use the VGII for my 1/2" and 3/8" Thompson tools. I keep the Sharpfast set up for spindle gouges. It is the one I use the least though it is absolutely the safest to use. I could be talked into parting with it so let me know if you choose that brand.
faust

Dave Ogren
03-08-2011, 11:39 AM
I have one and am very pleased with it. It was designed for safety, so the gouge won't go of the wheel. I think that the Wolverine is also a good system, just don't let your mind wander when using it.

Good luck with either one,

Dave