PDA

View Full Version : Engraving issues with mirrored acrylic. Please help?

Amanda Davis
03-07-2011, 8:45 PM
Hi everyone! :)
I am curious as to why my Epilog Mini 45 has started engraving what should be crisp/clean lines, blurry and jagged.
This particular material is mirrored acrylic, engraved on the back side, and with a coat of glossy spray paint applied. I have engraved mirrored acrylic for years now and never had an issue. (Notice especially on the left side of the letter K)

I've adjusted the focus and altered the speed/power settings several times, but I keep ending up with the same result which looks downright awful.

Is it my settings, the material, my laser, perhaps the spray paint?

What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks so much for any advice offered.

Cory Damon
03-07-2011, 9:13 PM
If all things are the same (material, file, laser, etc.), then you might want to start by checking to make sure that your mirrors are aligned properly. If you haven't done this in the past I'm sure there are Epilog users here that can help... or contact Epilog. Good luck and let us know if that helps things.

Cory

Rodne Gold
03-07-2011, 9:22 PM
Could be stress cracking cos of the lasers heat and solvents in the paint , maybe the material has changed from cast to extruded and the paint formulation has different solvents from what you are used to

Dee Gallo
03-07-2011, 9:31 PM
Amanda,

If you look up close before you apply the paint, do you see the wiggles? That could help you decide if it is the laser or the paint.

paul mott
03-08-2011, 3:50 AM
I would suspect that the material composition or type has been changed.

Paul.

Mike Null
03-08-2011, 5:59 AM
I would look at bearings and belts to be sure they are clean and operate smoothly. Then are the lens and mirrors clean and secure.

Terry Swift
03-08-2011, 10:32 AM
I'm with Mike - chatter could be dust / dirt or belts; as Epilogs seem to have a strange head configuration on the X-beam. Friends say that dust / dirt can easily accumulate around the rollers / tracks and that causes some weird movements.