PDA

View Full Version : First post, First segmented vase

Darren Jamieson
03-07-2011, 7:20 PM
Well I joined here a few weeks ago and have made a few comments but have not had time to either work in the shop or post so here goes. A simple vase about 8" tall and 5 or 6" at its widest piont. I turned the whole outside shape first and then seperated it into to halves to turn the inside. Once the inside was finished all I had to do was claen up the outside and finish. There is three coats of WOP and then a paste wax top coat. CC is always welcome, please honesty is the only way we learn.

Doug W Swanson
03-07-2011, 7:23 PM
Nice looking vase! Great job on the glue lines and lining everything up!

What kind of woods did you use? Looks like maple, walnut and purple heart to me....

Jeff Myroup
03-07-2011, 7:45 PM
Well I joined here a few weeks ago and have made a few comments but have not had time to either work in the shop or post so here goes. A simple vase about 8" tall and 5 or 6" at its widest piont. I turned the whole outside shape first and then seperated it into to halves to turn the inside. Once the inside was finished all I had to do was claen up the outside and finish. There is three coats of WOP and then a paste wax top coat. CC is always welcome, please honesty is the only way we learn.

Darren it looks really nice. Glue lines look tight and everything look like it lines up well. I would like to see a smaller base and a little more curve in the neck area. But over all very nice

Tim Thiebaut
03-07-2011, 8:29 PM
Very nice vase Darren! And welcome!

Allan Ferguson
03-07-2011, 8:36 PM
Very nice, would be happy to have it on my shelf. Welcome.

David E Keller
03-07-2011, 8:41 PM
Welcome! I agree with Jeff's assessment of the form. I know nothing about segmenting, but the joints look good. I like the wood combo and pattern. Well done.

Bernie Weishapl
03-07-2011, 9:35 PM
Welcome to SMC. Really a nice looking vase. Form and glue lines look great.

John Keeton
03-08-2011, 7:26 AM
Darren, your segmenting and turning skills are excellent! Very well done. The form is not my favorite, but then, I do not really care for spherical forms -even with necks. It just seems they never have enough interest to them. I would prefer this one to have a low belly and begin the curve at about the lower edge of the walnut band, curving up into the neck. A smaller base would fit it better, as well.

Very well done, however, with great joinery! Nice finish, too.

Steve Schlumpf
03-08-2011, 7:54 AM
Darren - Welcome to posting on the Creek!

Pretty nice segmented vase - especially for a first! Nice work on the joinery and I do like the wood combination! Form - always a matter of personal taste - comes with time and experience! Keep having fun turning! Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

Darren Jamieson
03-08-2011, 8:04 AM
Nice looking vase! Great job on the glue lines and lining everything up!
Thanks Doug but there is a couple of bad joints. I am however happy with a first attempt.
What kind of woods did you use? Looks like maple, walnut and purple heart to me....
You got everything but the Holly which I would have prefered to be thinnier but it is what I had this go around.

Darren it looks really nice. Glue lines look tight and everything look like it lines up well. I would like to see a smaller base and a little more curve in the neck area. But over all very nice
Thanks Jeff, when I started this piece it was just to try out a program called Woodturner Pro. I had some dificulty changing things after I drew them. I think you may be right about the smaller base, something to remember for the next one.

Very nice vase Darren! And welcome!
Thanks Tim.

Very nice, would be happy to have it on my shelf. Welcome.
Thanks Allan, my LOML actually liked this one and wants to put dried flowers in to put on a shelf right in the front entrance.

Welcome! I agree with Jeff's assessment of the form. I know nothing about segmenting, but the joints look good. I like the wood combo and pattern. Well done.
Thanks David, I'll try the smaller base next time.

Welcome to SMC. Really a nice looking vase. Form and glue lines look great.
Thanks Bernie I hope that my next one gets as many kind comments.

Darren, your segmenting and turning skills are excellent! Very well done. The form is not my favorite, but then, I do not really care for spherical forms -even with necks. It just seems they never have enough interest to them. I would prefer this one to have a low belly and begin the curve at about the lower edge of the walnut band, curving up into the neck. A smaller base would fit it better, as well.

Very well done, however, with great joinery! Nice finish, too.
Thanks John, when I drew it I thought it looked great, but by the time I finished it I thought it could have been better. I like a much taller vase and if it is going to be low like this one I too would like the bottom to be fatter and have a longer neck. For a first try however I was more worried about the glue up and trying to make a few tools I needed along the way.

Dan Cannon
03-08-2011, 10:05 AM
Great looking vase Darren, I like the wood combo a lot! Just out of curiosity, when you say you separated it into two halves after completing the outside form, how exactly did you do that? was it all glued up before separating, or was it some kind of temporary bond? Sorry for my ignorance, that just caught my attention.

Dan

Darren Jamieson
03-08-2011, 1:23 PM
Great looking vase Darren, I like the wood combo a lot! Just out of curiosity, when you say you separated it into two halves after completing the outside form, how exactly did you do that? was it all glued up before separating, or was it some kind of temporary bond? Sorry for my ignorance, that just caught my attention.

Dan
Thanks for the comments Dan, no bother with any question becouse someone else may always have a better way. When I put it together I new I would not be able to hollow it with just a bowl gouge so I picked a spot and used two sided tape so I could seperate it later. Then once the outside was done then all I had to do was turn the inside to the same thickness on both pieces and glue it back together.

Darren - Welcome to posting on the Creek!

Pretty nice segmented vase - especially for a first! Nice work on the joinery and I do like the wood combination! Form - always a matter of personal taste - comes with time and experience! Keep having fun turning! Looking forward to seeing more of your work!
Thanks Steve if only I could get some real good time in the shop, I have so many ideas and no time. Most everyone on these sights is perhaps retired and seem to have more time, my little guys keep me away from the shop. I do have a drawing for a taller vase and I have about 20 roughed bowls for later in the year so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Robert McGowen
03-08-2011, 9:00 PM
Hi Darren, It looks like you are well on your way in the segmented world! While the overall piece is quite nice, you might want to research the bases of segmented pieces before your next one. If you could choose the style of base most likely to fail over all others, it would be the way that you have your constructed. There is no way for the wood to move at all, which is what makes the joints fail over time. There are several threads on here concerning making the bases, but please let me know if you need more information.

Roger Chandler
03-08-2011, 9:03 PM
Welcome to the creek! Nice segmented work! Jamieson is a name with some notoriety in wood turning circles...........any chance you are kin to Lyle?

Michelle Rich
03-09-2011, 7:53 AM
Hi: As a segmenter of long standing, I have just a few things to say. First, congrats on the effort. A gentleman above me, said to watch for your bottom construction to crack..well, I dunno..That bottom is what 4" ?? You might get away with it, you might not. I think at 4" you could have just used a solid bottom & probably been ok too. The wider they get of course, the worse they expand & contract, so they can put pressure on the segments . Your bricklaid pattern looks good. But as you mature in this game you will find that 1/2 inch high rows look better & more segments per row, also make better looking vases. I think you have the basics down, and I look forward to more vessels.

Frederick O'Neill
03-09-2011, 9:08 AM
Darren, good job from another first timer in segmented turning. I'm still waiting for the finish to cure before buffing with wax so am not ready to post a pic. Your approach to turning the outside and then cutting in two for finishing the inside is one I hadn't considered. I glued several rings on the lathe and then turned the inside of those segments...gradually completing the glue up with the inside turned and sanded. Then I turned the outside. I would be a little worried that the outside shape would change once the piece was cut in two and then the inside hollowed. Did the shape come togther again after that process or did you have to true up the outside again? The two things I am going to like about segmented turning is the ability to use 4/4 stock of expensive wood for larger vases and bowls...who can afford a large solid piece of purpleheart, etc. .... and the ability to turn the inside of a vase without reaching through a small opening in the neck.

Darren Jamieson
03-09-2011, 1:01 PM
Hi Darren, It looks like you are well on your way in the segmented world! While the overall piece is quite nice, you might want to research the bases of segmented pieces before your next one. If you could choose the style of base most likely to fail over all others, it would be the way that you have your constructed. There is no way for the wood to move at all, which is what makes the joints fail over time. There are several threads on here concerning making the bases, but please let me know if you need more information.
Thanks for the comments Robert. I was affraid to do a solid bottom and haven't attempted to do a plug in anything yet so I thought that this method would work and look alright. Do to the size I figured it would be fine with movement but over all I did not enjoy doing the base. The room for error is to small and if you look close you will see that there is at least two bad joints in the bottom alone. I will look up the threads and see what I can learn becouse this will certainly be just the beginning of segmented work for me.

Welcome to the creek! Nice segmented work! Jamieson is a name with some notoriety in wood turning circles...........any chance you are kin to Lyle?
Thanks for the welcome Roger and the kind words. I am not sure who Lyle is but I try google later. As far as bing related, anything is posible I have relitives everywhere and a lot I have not met.

Hi: As a segmenter of long standing, I have just a few things to say. First, congrats on the effort. A gentleman above me, said to watch for your bottom construction to crack..well, I dunno..That bottom is what 4" ?? You might get away with it, you might not. I think at 4" you could have just used a solid bottom & probably been ok too. The wider they get of course, the worse they expand & contract, so they can put pressure on the segments . Your bricklaid pattern looks good. But as you mature in this game you will find that 1/2 inch high rows look better & more segments per row, also make better looking vases. I think you have the basics down, and I look forward to more vessels.
Michelle I must confess that when I first joined here and spent much time looking and not commenting I came across a comment of yours which promted me to look at some of your work here. The picture that is with each of your comments is what grabed me. Anything segmented gets my attention real quick right now. I welcome any comments and I will try the 1/2 pieces on my next one. Do you use a programe to help you with your feature rings or do you simply do all the math yourself and then start cutting? I used Woodturner Pro to draw the vase andI tried Lamenation Pro to do a feature ring but found that it didn't work well for me. I am trying a program called segmented project planner now but it doesn't seem to have anything for feature rings which is the most important part. If you have any advise or sugestions that would be great.

Darren, good job from another first timer in segmented turning. I'm still waiting for the finish to cure before buffing with wax so am not ready to post a pic. Your approach to turning the outside and then cutting in two for finishing the inside is one I hadn't considered. I glued several rings on the lathe and then turned the inside of those segments...gradually completing the glue up with the inside turned and sanded. Then I turned the outside. I would be a little worried that the outside shape would change once the piece was cut in two and then the inside hollowed. Did the shape come togther again after that process or did you have to true up the outside again? The two things I am going to like about segmented turning is the ability to use 4/4 stock of expensive wood for larger vases and bowls...who can afford a large solid piece of purpleheart, etc. .... and the ability to turn the inside of a vase without reaching through a small opening in the neck.
Thanks Frederick it was fun to do and I had to make a few tools along the way( tablesaw sled) When I put the two halves to gether after finishing the inside there was a bit of a problem. The problem was not that my idea would not have worked but more that I was slowly going off center in my glue up all the way along. I think that I have fixed that problem now and will try this method again. There will probably always be a very small amount of cleaning up on the outside but not enough to really worry about.

Robert McGowen
03-09-2011, 1:38 PM
Darren, I am not sure that I would proceed quite like Frederick has described for a simple reason that you have already realized - the top of the piece, especially if it is very tall, might end up way out of alignment. It could actually end up so far out of alignment that the entire top rings turn into sawdust, or at least get very, very thin before you get it shaped. (DAMHIKT) I would suggest that you do as Frederick describes, but turn at least 75% or so of the outside of the vase as you go. You know for sure that you will have to turn off the corners of the segments at a minimum, so if you go ahead and do that after each ring is glued, then you are able to center the next ring to the one that you just rounded off and you know that one is now centered because you did it on the lathe. At the end, you can finish up the outside and it should be a fairly easy task at that point. Clear as mud?

Mark Hubl
03-09-2011, 1:57 PM
Darren, Welcome aboard. I would not say a simple piece. A very nice piece and a great first. I look forward to seeing your upcoming efforts.

Richard Madden
03-09-2011, 2:10 PM
Welcome to the creek, Darren. I have always liked and appreciated segmented work, and yours is no exception. Well done, and I hope you will be showing us more. Thanks for sharing.

Ron Stadler
03-09-2011, 7:01 PM
Great job on first segmented, looks really good, but I do have to agree with Jeff on it being a little bottom heavy to my eye otherwise very nice.

Malcolm Tibbetts
03-10-2011, 10:11 AM
Darren, here are a couple of articles that might help you with segmented vessel bases. Great job, especially considering that this is your first.

http://www.tahoeturner.com/instructions/pdf/BASE-ics.pdf

http://www.tahoeturner.com/instructions/pdf/floating_base.pdf

Darren Jamieson
03-10-2011, 2:18 PM
Darren, I am not sure that I would proceed quite like Frederick has described for a simple reason that you have already realized - the top of the piece, especially if it is very tall, might end up way out of alignment. It could actually end up so far out of alignment that the entire top rings turn into sawdust, or at least get very, very thin before you get it shaped. (DAMHIKT) I would suggest that you do as Frederick describes, but turn at least 75% or so of the outside of the vase as you go. You know for sure that you will have to turn off the corners of the segments at a minimum, so if you go ahead and do that after each ring is glued, then you are able to center the next ring to the one that you just rounded off and you know that one is now centered because you did it on the lathe. At the end, you can finish up the outside and it should be a fairly easy task at that point. Clear as mud?
Hi Robert, actually what I did was glue 2/3rds of the rings together one at a time on the lathe, centering with the tailstock as I went and then used two sided tape on a joint and then finished gluing the rest of the layers on. Once it was all on the lathe and between centers then I turned my shape. I then removed it and seperated the two peices so I could turn my inside to the outside and try to get a uniform thickness. Then I glued it together and cleaned up the outside and finished it. The only reason that I had an alignment issue is becouse one of my rings slipped and I didn't see it till it was to late. Becouse I left my segment width nice and wide I was able to turn it without losing the top. What I learned is better ways to keep it inline but I still need to learn more.

Darren, Welcome aboard. I would not say a simple piece. A very nice piece and a great first. I look forward to seeing your upcoming efforts.
Thanks Mark for the kind words. working on my first hollow form now so if it makes it I will be sure to post it.

Welcome to the creek, Darren. I have always liked and appreciated segmented work, and yours is no exception. Well done, and I hope you will be showing us more. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks Richard, I to hope there will be more.

Darren, here are a couple of articles that might help you with segmented vessel bases. Great job, especially considering that this is your first.

http://www.tahoeturner.com/instructions/pdf/BASE-ics.pdf

http://www.tahoeturner.com/instructions/pdf/floating_base.pdf
I am assuming this is the Malcolm Tibbetts and I am thrilled to here from you. The first book I read was a book about basic turning and then I jumped right to your (one of) book to learn all about what really drew me to turning. I have only completed about 15 turnings in total and then 12 or so pens so it means alot to read your words. I will certainly take the time to read the links that you sent and hopefully my next one will incorpurate something that I learned.