PDA

View Full Version : A question of value..

Dan Hahr
03-07-2011, 7:08 PM
I have the opportunity to purchase a Delta Rockwell 1460 lathe that appears to be from the 50s or 60s. The condition worries me somewhat, but the overall cast iron seems to be OK. What would you consider a good deal for just the lathe?

Here are the conditions I am concerned with:

The bearings seem shot. Stiff to turn and screeching under power. Apparently they have been replaced as the screws are marred up.
The motor has been replaced with a GE appliance motor- 1/3 hp two speed- 17--/11--? The wiring is shot.
The tailstock and base are a different color grey than the bed and it all could use painting, although there is very little rust.
It comes with no drive center and the live center in the tailstock is stiff.
The faceplate on the outboard side seems to be stamped steel and is obviously much newer than the machine.
The switch is just a cheap flip switch wired to use both speeds of the motor.
The tailstock is very stiff and will likely need dissassembly and overhaul.
It only has one 12" toolrest.
I can't tell if the centers line up because I don't have a drive center.
The inside of the drive shaft is pretty rusty.
I know that thats not much, but can anyone suggest a fair price considering the above? The seller mentioned the value of the base being 150 bucks by itself, but I'm not sure I would offer him much more than that for the whole thing. I don't have anything to start turning with so all the accessories will have to be purchased.

BTW, the serial # is 12874--. The model is 46-460.

Thanks, Dan

Bob Bergstrom
03-07-2011, 7:43 PM
I wouldn't pay more than that for the whole thing. I seen much better for $300. You need a better motor, and new bearings. Check the tailstock internal threads by putting a piece of wood between centers and screwing in the handwheel. If it doesn't squeeze the wood and leave a good impression of the ends of the tapers, it is probably stripped, a very costly part if you can find one. The lathe itself is a good one. It will just cost too much to put parts in it compared to finding one in good running condition. I sold my Delta 450 for $500 and it was in very good condition. The 450 was the best then, and it came with a 1 hp motor and full cabinet.

Steve Vaughan
03-07-2011, 8:00 PM
Sounds like a lot of work ahead of you. Lots of work to restore it to usable condition, and then you still gotta have some tools to work with. I'm thinking unless you just have the urge to restore a cool old lathe, which is a great idea BTW, by the time you put everything - time and parts - into it, you could just go by a new or better shape used one and not have much more money involved in it.

Curt Fuller
03-07-2011, 8:20 PM
I think I'd pass on that one. Motor, bearings, and most of the essential accessories would cost you more than a new Delta. And then you'd have all the work of putting it back together. Unless you like to putter with things, this one has too many question marks.

Tim Thiebaut
03-07-2011, 8:24 PM
I just love vintage tools, that being said if you arent a very handy type of person this sounds like a lot to take on. Also, this is just a guess but for what you will have to pay for this lathe, and then to bring it up to speed and fully reconditioned I bet you could buy the new model 46-460 brand new for the same money you would have into this, and you will have all of the new fangled gadgets that go with it, something to think about.

Dan Hahr
03-07-2011, 9:07 PM
Thanks, everyone. I don't mind rehabbing used tools and I have a respect for old cast iron, but I am not much for buying used parts online and finding out why someone got rid of it in the first place. I may offer to take it off his hands if he can't find a buyer at the $ 400 price point.
Thanks again, Dan

Roger Chandler
03-07-2011, 9:25 PM
I would not get this one............it is an invitation to a lot of frustration unless you just like hard challenges. This one needs everything electrical, and it will be a money pit for not that much of a lathe.

You could get a Delta 46-460 midi for probably less in parts and manhours invested in this thing and have a much better unit. Just my opinion!

Bernie Weishapl
03-07-2011, 9:28 PM
I agree and would pass on this one. There are better lathes out there to be had. I agree that you would be better off with a Delta 46-460 midi lathe.

Harry Robinette
03-07-2011, 11:45 PM
dan
You really don't want to go over $150.00.Keep a check on places like HGR in Cleveland Oh.and some of the other industrial Equipment sites,criags list, you can find this same lathe for 150 to 300 and in good condition.I found 3 in as many months when I was looking for a friend.He bought a new Delta 46-460 his smarter half wanted warranty.Very good thinking.

Dan Hahr
03-08-2011, 8:13 PM
Thanks guys. I called the guy and offered significantly less. He wasn't interested, so I will continue my search.

Thanks again, Dan