PDA

View Full Version : Replacing jointer blades or buy byrd head?

Derek Voigt
03-07-2011, 6:33 PM
I have a jet 6" jointer and I know that my blades are getting dull and that it will be time to replace/sharpened and then set back in. I would also then need to buy one of the knife setting jigs because I want the blade alignment to be spot on.

So cost of a decent jig is about $100 give or take $20 and I'm sure I can resharpen the blades for like $15-20, and if I have to replace them I would have to spend abot $60 on a new set. So the worst case in that I would have to spend about $180, but more likely $120ish.

Do I do that or spend $275 and pick up a Byrd head and not worry about the jig and get a better cut and easy blade changes?

What do you guys think?

Derek

Gerald Senburn
03-07-2011, 6:39 PM
One guy's thoughts on the subject ... http://www.thewoodnerd.com/articles/helical-vs-straight.html

Peter Quinn
03-07-2011, 8:15 PM
Over a number of years I think the Byrd head will wind up being cheaper. I recently replaced the head on my 8" jointer with a Byrd head, and after the first time I used it I had one of those "Why the heck did I wait so long to do this" moments. They are quiet, dust collection is easier, the cut is great, and no more time spent changing knives, not much to dislike.

Glen Gunderson
03-07-2011, 8:39 PM
You don't need an expensive jig to set jointer blades correctly. I've always just used a straight edge and it's been fine. I recently got a dial indicator and out of curiosity checked my jointer blades and they were within .0001" inches of each other. So really, assuming you have a decent straight edge (which is good to have anyway) you could have freshly sharpened blades in your jointer for about $20.

The first time I got my jointer and planer blades sharpened I was actually shocked at how painless the procedure of setting them was. Assuming you have the basic tools, it's a quick operation.

Myk Rian
03-07-2011, 8:42 PM
I also use a straight edge/ruler. I'll set each knife at each end and the middle so when I roll the head, the ruler moves 1/8" in each position.
I then raise the outfeed table even with the blades, and I'm done. It might take a little while to do it, but it's spot on when done.

I have a Byrd in my DW735 planer and love it. But the 8" jointer can wait.

Jeff Duncan
03-07-2011, 9:18 PM
I'm also a fan of the stick method, if you google it I'm sure you'll come up with a detailed procedure to accomplish it. Best part is all you need is a piece of scrap wood.

I think the Byrd head can be a good choice for some. But from what I've read they do require a bit more power which is usually not in great supply on 6" machines.
good luck,
JeffD

Mike Cruz
03-08-2011, 12:07 AM
I hate changing blades. Simply not a fan. Also, hate the chatter they can make on hard woods like hard maple, not to mention the tearout on figured wood. So, I spent the $330 on the Byrd head for my 8" DJ-20 jointer. Love it. Now, if I can only find $800 plus for one for my 20" planer...

scott vroom
03-08-2011, 12:52 AM
I installed the Byrd on my 8" planner when the knives went dull. I'll never go back to knives again. Spend the money, you won't regret it.

Chip Lindley
03-08-2011, 9:56 AM
IMO, every jointer owner should have to set his own jointer blades as a rite of passage, before installing a Byrd head. No need to spend $100 on any jig for installling jointer blades. There are great tips (if you search here) on making your own jig of plate glass and super magnets, on the cheap! If your joiner has jack screws to adjust the knives, you are home free. Each knife can be adjusted "by feel" to the height of the outfeed table. It's not RocketSurgery!

Greg Peterson
03-08-2011, 10:05 AM
A small sheet of glass, three or four strong magnets and you have a knife setting jig. My first ever attempt at replacing the knives on my jointer took about twenty minutes, start to finish. Easy as one, two, three.

Gerald Senburn
03-08-2011, 7:44 PM
A small sheet of glass, three or four strong magnets and you have a knife setting jig. My first ever attempt at replacing the knives on my jointer took about twenty minutes, start to finish. Easy as one, two, three.

And how long does it take you now?

Larry Frank
03-08-2011, 8:26 PM
The glass and the magnets sounds like a very good idea. How about a picture of it?

Chip Lindley
03-08-2011, 9:25 PM
Picture? Try this:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?20579-Jointer-question-for-the-SMC-pro-s...&highlight=magnet+glass+jig

Bruce Wrenn
03-08-2011, 9:48 PM
Get a copy of John Whites book "Care and Repair of Shop Machines." Costs about $20. Get magnets from Radio Shack, and dial indicator and magnetic base from Harbor Freight. Adds another $30 to your costs, but dial indicator will be used for lots of other things. Order a new set of blades for your machine from either Global tooling, or Amazon. This will give you a replacement set for when you strike a piece of trash in your stock. I wouldn't spend the money for a Byrd head on a 6" machine

Greg Peterson
03-08-2011, 10:46 PM
And how long does it take you now?

I dunno. I bought my jointer last fall and replaced the knives a month or two later. Not something I plan on having to do anytime soon. But I guess I could do it in under 20 minutes. Broader point I was trying to make was that installing jointer knives is quite simple and does not require high dollar jigs and tools. Plenty of more worthy expenditures to make in the shop.

Neil Bosdet
03-08-2011, 10:54 PM
Byrd. No question. I've got spiral on my jointer and I've upgraded my 20" planer too. Never, never, never would I go back.