PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Vase & Pyrography

Bernie Weishapl
03-07-2011, 4:08 PM
Here is a cherry vase I turned with a cardinal on it. It is a order I just finished and she is on her way to pick it up. I think she told me she was from Ohio. She also wants a platter with a meadowlark on a platter which I am about to undertake. She said that her husband was from Kansas so she wanted a platter for him. The meadowlark will be a little harder as she wants this one colored. This one is 9" across and 3 1/2" high. It was burned and then finished with rattle can lacquer.

Steve Schlumpf
03-07-2011, 4:15 PM
Bernie - sure looks good! Very nice burned detail work! Your customer is going to love it! Congrats on the follow-up sale!

Thom Sturgill
03-07-2011, 4:26 PM
Bernie, I like the 'burn only' look much more than I do 'burn and paint'. Light washes might work for me. but then that's just me. Fine job, I'm sure she'll love it.

charlie knighton
03-07-2011, 4:42 PM
very nice, your burning looks good

John Keeton
03-07-2011, 5:14 PM
Very nice work, Bernie!! I am in the camp with Thom - I prefer the burned only, or a light wash vs. an opaque painted look.

Jeff Myroup
03-07-2011, 5:25 PM
Bernie nice Job! There are many ways to add color. I don't care for the opaque look, because then what is the point of burning. I would use a water color. You can get those in pencil form, or regular paint. You can blend the pencils just like you would do the paint. I use oil pencil on mine. Make sure you have a sharp point, that way the color goes in the grooves and not all over. If you have some time check out the books from Lora Irish. She covers coloring in them, and you can get some nice effects.

What ever you use make sure you spray it with a fixative, before applying the finish

Donny Lawson
03-07-2011, 5:35 PM
Great form. I like the pyrography work. What kind of hollowing tools do you use for that ?

Fred Perreault
03-07-2011, 5:38 PM
What a fantastic piece. I too like the simpler look of woodburning without too much embellishment with color. That's not to say I don't envy those that can do either. Really nice job.

Jim Burr
03-07-2011, 6:08 PM
I see your learning curve with that was about 15 minutes...nice work Bernie!

Tim Thiebaut
03-07-2011, 6:21 PM
Very nice job on this Bernie! Love that bird.

Roger Chandler
03-07-2011, 6:46 PM
First class work on this Bernie............gee, all this pyrography is sure making me wonder if it is in my future.............hummmmm, the vortex seems to be calling............AGAIN!

John Keeton
03-07-2011, 6:49 PM
Bernie, have you checked out the Copic dye pens? That might be something for you to look at. Lots of colors, and different points are available for the pens. You can get refills, etc. The owner, Rusty Gorter, will answer the phone most likely - nice fellow! These are the pens Jim Adkins uses on his basket turnings.
http://oozak.com/copic.php

BILL DONAHUE
03-07-2011, 9:40 PM
Beautiful! You're going to have a happy customer.

Bernie Weishapl
03-07-2011, 9:50 PM
Thanks all for you kind comments. This one is just burned. There are no colors on this one. She just wanted it burned. She does want the meadowlark colored though so I am ordering some oil pencils.

Great form. I like the pyrography work. What kind of hollowing tools do you use for that ?

This one happens to be a two piece. I have been using Brian McEnvoy's system. Actually they have been selling pretty well.

Bernie, have you checked out the Copic dye pens? That might be something for you to look at. Lots of colors, and different points are available for the pens. You can get refills, etc. The owner, Rusty Gorter, will answer the phone most likely - nice fellow! These are the pens Jim Adkins uses on his basket turnings.
http://oozak.com/copic.php

John I do have a few of the Copic dye pens. The red roses I did and the leaves were with those pens. I will give him a call. Thanks John.

Bernie nice Job! There are many ways to add color. I don't care for the opaque look, because then what is the point of burning. I would use a water color. You can get those in pencil form, or regular paint. You can blend the pencils just like you would do the paint. I use oil pencil on mine. Make sure you have a sharp point, that way the color goes in the grooves and not all over. If you have some time check out the books from Lora Irish. She covers coloring in them, and you can get some nice effects.

What ever you use make sure you spray it with a fixative, before applying the finish

Thanks Jeff. Jeff I have a couple of questions? One being what brand of oil pencils do you use? I don't have any fixative yet but have just sprayed a extremely light coat of lacquer at least three times before I really start adding the lacquer as a finish. So far so good it hasn't run. I will check out Lori Irish's book. I do have Sue Walters DVD's. One on the Nib's and there use. The other is pyrography workshop. Both are pretty good.

Michael James
03-07-2011, 11:13 PM
Nice job Bernie! Didn't take long to get some proficiency there! I officially have retirement envy.... again!
mj

Bernie Weishapl
03-07-2011, 11:16 PM
Thanks Michael. I am enjoying it. Don't know how I had time for a full time job.

Curt Fuller
03-07-2011, 11:27 PM
That's really nice Bernie. You're getting pretty good with the burner.

Ron Stadler
03-08-2011, 12:05 AM
That's really nice Bernie and I love your cardinal, he looks great.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-08-2011, 12:11 AM
Nicely done Bernie!

Bernie Weishapl
03-08-2011, 12:25 AM
Thanks Curt, Ron and Ken. Hopefully getting better Curt. If I can just figure out how to steady my hand when doing the small burns.:mad::D

Tony De Masi
03-08-2011, 8:55 AM
Nice work Bernie. You obviously made a very short learning curve out of that burning stuff.

Jeff Myroup
03-08-2011, 10:18 AM
Thanks Jeff. Jeff I have a couple of questions? One being what brand of oil pencils do you use? I don't have any fixative yet but have just sprayed a extremely light coat of lacquer at least three times before I really start adding the lacquer as a finish. So far so good it hasn't run. I will check out Lori Irish's book. I do have Sue Walters DVD's. One on the Nib's and there use. The other is pyrography workshop. Both are pretty good.

I use Derwent soft drawing pencils, although primsacolor makes some really good ones as well. Sue Walters is good, and so is Nedra dennison. The hardest part of burning, is moving past the lines and getting into shading. You have to start looking at everything in terms of light and shadow.

I read a line once (I can't remember who said it) but, "there are no lines in nature". It has now become my mantra. This has really helped me, since I have no training in drawing.

If you really want to be blown away, goggle "dino muradian" He is the best burner in the world. Words can not describe what this guy can do.

Bernie Weishapl
03-08-2011, 11:05 AM
Thanks Tony.

Jeff thanks for the info. You are right that shading is the hardest part for sure. It is becoming easier as I go and learn where to set my heat. I will check out the Derwent's. I just checked Dino's site and it is absolutely amazing. Wow he does some beautiful stuff.

Mark Hubl
03-08-2011, 11:15 PM
Looks good Bernie. I like this form. The pyro looks terrific, you are really getting good at this. I think the birder crowd will like these.

Bernie Weishapl
03-08-2011, 11:20 PM
Thanks Mark.

Don Nicholas
03-08-2011, 11:44 PM
Very impressive work. Do you do your burning after you put the finish on the piece?
Nicely done.

Michael Short
03-09-2011, 3:00 PM
Great JOB Bernie. You are really doing well with this pyrography stuff.

Cathy Schaewe
03-09-2011, 8:23 PM
I'm impressed - it looks like you've been doing pyrography for years! That looks great!

John W Dixon
03-09-2011, 9:20 PM
Bernie your cardinal is really well done. Nice job.

Bernie Weishapl
03-09-2011, 9:25 PM
Thanks again.

Cathy it has taken lots of practice but has been fun. You should see the scrap pieces laying under my desk. LOL

Baxter Smith
03-09-2011, 10:02 PM
Nice job Bernie. Glad they are selling well!

Rob Cunningham
03-10-2011, 1:00 PM
Beautiful work Bernie.

George Morris
03-10-2011, 9:43 PM
Very Nice work! Well done,Congrats! G

Bernie Weishapl
03-10-2011, 10:05 PM
Thanks again. Baxter it is surprising that they are selling well but I will keep making them as long as they do.

Dan Forman
03-11-2011, 12:50 AM
A very attractive piece. Nice job on the burning.

Dan