PDA

View Full Version : Possible Butternut Turning???

Erik Johanson
03-07-2011, 3:00 PM
I am in the process of getting the Lath fired up in my high school wood shop to do some introductory turning with my students. However, it is been many years since I did any turning and I am planning a few projects for myself to refresh my skills. The point of this post is to ask if anyone here has ever turned with Butternut. My Girlfriend just had some trees cut down on her property and from what everyone can tell it appears to be butternut. I have slab sawn some of it for use later as project material for small things such as jewelry boxes and such, but I was going to chunk some out for doing small turning. I was going to start with something small like a pen that would not use too much material at first (I would hate for my re-learning curve to ruin some really nice material) and eventually make a bowl from some of it.

What are your thoughts of turning Butternut?

Ralph Lindberg
03-07-2011, 3:42 PM
I've turned Butternut and been quite happy with the results. I've tried both green and dry and had nice results both ways. It does not appear to be a wood prone to splitting or cracking.

FYI, the chips and dust will stain your hands, etc, if the wood is remotely like any of it I have ever worked

bob svoboda
03-07-2011, 3:42 PM
Welcome to the turners forum, Erik. Never turned Butternut, but have seen some nice pieces done by others.

John Keeton
03-07-2011, 4:06 PM
I LOVE Butternut! Turns beautifully (dry) and has some great character, particularly with worm holes. It can be a bit dusty. I would imagine it turns great wet, as well. Fairly soft wood.

Steve Schlumpf
03-07-2011, 4:17 PM
Erik - Welcome to the Creek! Butternut can be some beautiful wood - so have fun with it!

Bernie Weishapl
03-07-2011, 4:30 PM
Welcome Erik to SMC. Butternut is a great wood to turn green or dry. Love turning it when I can find it.

Erik Johanson
03-08-2011, 10:08 PM
Thanks guys, When I get all the pieces for my lathe I will put up some pics for you.

Mark Hubl
03-08-2011, 11:19 PM
Cuts like butter, couldn't resist. It is nice to turn, I just picked up three blanks. It is nice for adding carving or shaping. I have done a couple of pieces and liked working with it, but it is a tad soft and can dent.
Found a picture of what it looks like.

Reid Strand
03-09-2011, 3:26 PM
I once got a free load of butternut that had been drying in the loft of a barn for over 25 years-- A pig barn. Beautiful stuff, great to turn, but NOT something you want to turn in the basement shop. Shocked to discover a few years later that normal butternut smells fine.