PDA

View Full Version : blum undermount 562H question

Charlie McGuire
03-07-2011, 2:32 PM
I'm using blum undermount 562H drawer slides for the first time. This on a face-frame cabinet that will have a front attached to the drawer box.

The Blum installation instructions indicate that the drawer box (minus the front) should be proud of the face frame by 1/32". Obviously, this would not allow the drawer to fully butt the face frame when closed.

In other drawer applications, I've always let the drawer front meet the cabinet.

Am I missing something? Should the drawer not close all the way to the frame? How do you folks typically spec drawer fits for face frames?

Thanks.

Steve Jenkins
03-07-2011, 6:47 PM
I think that the reason they spec that is to prevent a click when the drawer front makes contact with the face frame. When I redid my kitchen I had a friend make the cabinet boxes and he also installed the slides. He set them back so the drawer fronts touch the cabinet and I can hear a click if I listen but it isn't objectionable.

Jamie Buxton
03-07-2011, 9:32 PM
I think you're mis-reading the Blum installation instructions. IIRC, they say that the front of the cabinet member should be behind the front of the cabinet by 4 mm. This allows the in-stop for the drawer travel be supplied by the back of the drawer front hitting the front of the cabinet.

Charlie McGuire
03-08-2011, 4:00 AM
I don't think I'm misreading the installation intructions - at least the ones I'm looking at. The detail pretty clearly says 5/32 setback for the runner, and 1/32 drawer gap shown as between the frame and the backside of the drawer front. Others have said it is intended for the use of bumpers to cushion the closing, and make the drawers have similar gap as the cab doors using euro hinges. Thanks for the replies.

www.blum.com/pdf/BUS/inst_tdm_562H/inst_tdm_562H.pdf

Russell Sansom
03-08-2011, 5:01 AM
BTW, I found 5 or 6 of these on CL here in the bay area. I only have one pair left un-installed. They are fantastic. You don't really need the $80 dollar installation template. Maybe it just seemed like $80, but the number was in the stratosphere. It took some doing to figure out the specs. Once I installed one it was all clear, but there was some head scratching before that. I like the idea of 1/32" relief. Mine bang just a little when they close because I missed that particular spec.

Peter Quinn
03-08-2011, 6:01 AM
I'm using blum undermount 562H drawer slides for the first time. This on a face-frame cabinet that will have a front attached to the drawer box.

The Blum installation instructions indicate that the drawer box (minus the front) should be proud of the face frame by 1/32". Obviously, this would not allow the drawer to fully butt the face frame when closed.

In other drawer applications, I've always let the drawer front meet the cabinet.

Am I missing something? Should the drawer not close all the way to the frame? How do you folks typically spec drawer fits for face frames?

Thanks.

You are not missing anything. Those are their instructions, they call for a gap, or maybe a "reveal" sounds more pleasant and professional. Wood workers dont like gaps and we are trained to ferret them out, but a reveal is another matter! No need to let finish touch finish each time the drawer closes, and the chances every one of your boxes and drawers are dead flat and installed dead square so they meet perfectly flush is, well, not high. You could adjust the slide set back to cancel the gap, or not, your choice really. I like to use little Clear rubber bumpers on the back side of the applied drawer faces to cushion the contact and jeep things quiet.

Charlie McGuire
03-08-2011, 10:41 AM
You are not missing anything. Those are their instructions, they call for a gap, or maybe a "reveal" sounds more pleasant and professional. Wood workers dont like gaps and we are trained to ferret them out, but a reveal is another matter! No need to let finish touch finish each time the drawer closes, and the chances every one of your boxes and drawers are dead flat and installed dead square so they meet perfectly flush is, well, not high. You could adjust the slide set back to cancel the gap, or not, your choice really. I like to use little Clear rubber bumpers on the back side of the applied drawer faces to cushion the contact and jeep things quiet.

That's what I'll be doing. I like the idea of the bumpers. Thanks.