PDA

View Full Version : Cermark/Thermark

Bill Overturf
03-07-2011, 1:34 PM
Does anybody have experience using both of these if so is there a big difference? Note these will be the aerosol cans not the bulk that has to be mixed we dont use enough to justify that yet. Also anybody ever used the Cermark tape?

Chris DeGerolamo
03-07-2011, 2:12 PM
I would do some research on the cans - I remember reading that if they sit on a shelf to long they lose pressure or they can leak/burst from metal integrity failure. Not sure if the issue has been resolved...maybe someone else will weigh in too.

Gary Hair
03-07-2011, 3:04 PM
Does anybody have experience using both of these if so is there a big difference? Note these will be the aerosol cans not the bulk that has to be mixed we dont use enough to justify that yet. Also anybody ever used the Cermark tape?

The quantity of marking you do doesn't necessarily dictate whether you should use the can or bulk. Bulk is much cheaper, easier to use and yields better results. For a small item you can brush it on but it is usually best to airbrush it on. The reason I say better results is that I can airbrush a very thin, uniform layer that is impossible to do with a spray can. There is a shelf life of the can, I guarantee you that the bulk will last many times longer. I have only used Cermark, never Thermark. Unless you have at least 45 watts the tape won't work.

Gary

Scott Woodson
03-07-2011, 6:37 PM
I've used both and the only problem I 've had with the tape is I used it on a slightly imperfect surface and it wasn't able to get into the imperfections like the spray did. Other than that they are almost the same, except for cost as pointed out by others.

greg lindsey
03-07-2011, 7:02 PM
I have used the cans and the bulk, I prefer the spray can. A few years ago I had a spray can burst while sitting on the shelf, Ferro promptly replaced it, never had a problem since. I have had the bulk dry up, that doesn't mean it's unusable, just a little harder to get a good controlled mix ratio. I can make a can last a long time and yield as much as $5000.00 in returns, just did it last week. So for a $70 investment, I'm not going to complain. The can is convienent and ready to use when I need it. As far as better reusults from the bulk, I don't see it, but, I dont concern myself with the thickness of the cermark applied, I have sprayed it thick and barely visably thin and have excellent results. To me it's all about focus and speed. Seems everyone has thier own experiences. I too only use cermark, never tried the other.

Bruce Boone
03-07-2011, 7:56 PM
I use the Cermark in the can. The one thing that you'll need to know about using that is that the spray nozzle will easily clog. I pull mine off and throw it in an ultrasonic cleaner between every shot. A cup of water can also work if you don't have an ultrasonic cleaner.

Mike Null
03-08-2011, 6:12 AM
I've used both and prefer Cermark. (I will not do aluminum due to poor results) I will not buy any more spray cans as they are just too expensive and wasteful.

Like Gary, I use an airbrush for one piece or a 100. I leave mine in the air brush bottle and thin it a little each time I use it. As near as I can tell the bulk has an unlimited shelf life.

Belinda Barfield
03-08-2011, 6:58 AM
I've used Cermark bulk, spray can, and tape. I don't have much success with the bulk, so I typically stick with the spray. I've had one can of the spray go "bad". Other than the expense, I really like the tape. If you are not using Cermark very often the tape may be the way to go for you as it has (as far as I know) a lengthy shelf life and is very easy to use.

Larry Bratton
03-08-2011, 9:01 AM
To clean the spray can nozzle after use, turn the can upside down and spray until no material comes out. Spray cans not so wasteful then.

Joe Motley
03-08-2011, 9:26 AM
Recently did a large number of stainless knife blades (large Leathermans) using the cermark tape on my Mini 40, and got beautiful results. Used the manufacturer's suggested settings of 100% power and a speed of .3 times the 40w=12. Very easy to use. Also easy to control the amount used. Never got consistent results with the other methods.