PDA

View Full Version : Digital Cutter?

David Fairfield
03-07-2011, 1:33 PM
Has anyone tried one of these things? Supposedly they cut and emboss. So I imagine, for times when I want to cut metal foil, or add raised details (can't really do that on my laser) it might be useful?

Here is one filmed at a crafts fair.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2r7_7olAEXs

Looks kind of chintzy ... but I guess there are others on the market? Totally new to me at this point. :confused:

Dan Hintz
03-07-2011, 1:39 PM
I don't see any embossing. I picked up a Cricut Cake Cutter for my wife... same idea, but she can use it for paper/cardboard or cake fondant.

Martin Boekers
03-07-2011, 2:02 PM
It may be cheap, but it does "engrave" too.

Not sure about the quality on it. I like the idea of having
a holder for a pen as you can make multiple easily of a pen
& ink drawing in real ink and pen pressure.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGqtUiRFlEw&feature=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGqtUiRFlEw&feature=related)

Rodne Gold
03-07-2011, 2:10 PM
Is it like a small vinyl cutter? Video looked like it was "pouncing"?

Larry Bratton
03-07-2011, 2:11 PM
That's a plotter made for cutting craft projects. Buy yourself a vinyl cutting plotter and you can use it for all kinds of things.

David Fairfield
03-07-2011, 3:11 PM
In another video, it shows the same or similar machine embossing on vellum. Can't really see the quality of the cuts and embossing on the company website or anywhere else I've looked.

I'm actually most interested in the embossing capability. I'd get a vinyl cutting plotter if it can do that? Or is there such a thing as a digital embossing machine?

Dave

Martin Boekers
03-07-2011, 4:31 PM
In another video, it shows the same or similar machine embossing on vellum. Can't really see the quality of the cuts and embossing on the company website or anywhere else I've looked.

I'm actually most interested in the embossing capability. I'd get a vinyl cutting plotter if it can do that? Or is there such a thing as a digital embossing machine?

Dave

The Wizard matte cutter will do a deboss. $$$$

A rotary engraver may be able to do it, there may be a "burnishing type head" for it.
The problem lies with keeping the substarte flat so it doesn't pull or bunch up.

Marty

Dan Hintz
03-07-2011, 6:12 PM
Marty,

The mat you lay the paper on is a bit sticky, and it does a decent job at holding things down.

AL Ursich
03-08-2011, 11:48 AM
I started looking at this machine and eventually ended up with a Graphtec FC7000 with the photo eye to read registration marks.

I know 2 people that have them and keep them busy, they meet a need like the CarveWright meets the hobby CNC need.

Cricket sells a little stainless spatula to help remove vinyl and I have found it a wonderful tool for my Vinyl and many other uses in the shop. Get one....

AL