PDA

View Full Version : A Different TS Top Wax Question

Roger Pozzi
03-07-2011, 12:28 PM
So as to not hijack the other threads, I decided to start a new one.
There is a lot of opinions about cleaning/waxing cast iron saw tables but, what about aluminum?
I have a Bosch 4100 and the table top is needing something on it. I have tried the Johnson's Paste Wax but, it seems as though by the time I buff it out, there is nothing left.
So, I figured that there are others out there with aluminum topped saws that might have a good solution that everyone could benefit from.
What about it guys? :confused:

Mark A Johnson
03-07-2011, 12:49 PM
Try any good regular automotive wax.

Myk Rian
03-07-2011, 12:53 PM
Try any good regular automotive wax.
NO! Auto wax has silicone in it. You don't want that on the wood.

Bill Huber
03-07-2011, 1:12 PM
I don't know about the saw top but I have a little Delta jointer and the top on it is aluminum and was not very smooth at all. I used a block of hard Maple and some emery cloth and worked it over for and hour or so and then waxed it with Johnson's wax. It is now as smooth and slippery as it can be, you may be able to do the same thing with the saw top.

I also have a Rigid sander with a cast aluminum top and I waxed it with Johnson's wax and it helped it a lot, things slide on it very easy now.

From what everyone has said you don't want to use any auto wax that has silicon in it. From what I understand it can get on the wood and mess up the finish.

glenn bradley
03-07-2011, 3:46 PM
JPW on aluminum too; nothing special about it in regard to waxing. Apply generously, wait till it just starts to fog and buff off. When I do larger surfaces I start at one end and move along. I go back and buff off in the same direction I was applying. If one coat isn't doing it, leave it a bit longer once it starts to fog or just do another coat.

Myk Rian
03-07-2011, 4:22 PM
Glop the wax on, use a heat gun to melt it in, buff it up.

Chris Tsutsui
03-07-2011, 5:13 PM
I use silicone lubricant and havn't ran into any troubles yet with finishing. Maybe because I sand before finishing, or that I don't work with very porous wood.

I just spray it on and wipe off excess.

I've tried many brands and hands down, the best brand is Wurth Sabesto Dry Silicone Spray Lubricant.

For me it was better than any other spray lube which includes graphite based ones and teflon based ones i've tried. For some reason all of the other lubricants spray on like a liquid while the Wurth stuff goes on in an even fine dry mist without causing spots.

Though I suppose if you're working with fine woodworking that might get ruined, then stay away from silicone. :)