PDA

View Full Version : Q: What wears a cape, turns people green, and flies?

David Winer
03-07-2011, 10:54 AM
A: SUPER GLOAT!

Reading, mostly from this forum, about all the excellent old radial arm saws “out there,” it seemed like a good idea to consider a replacement for my 40 year old Craftsman 12-inch. I set out to find one. Since radial arm saws are generally in disfavor as unsafe and inaccurate (wrongly, but I won’t digress here) they come on the market frequently at remarkably low prices for such potent machinery. My criteria in the search would be 12-inch blade, 220 v., single phase, cast iron arm, ready for use without need for significant restoration.

Lots of entries in Craigslist out there, but I eventually narrowed the search down to three types I could welcome into the garage: either the older DeWalt round-top, the newer DeWalt 790/7790 series, or a Delta turret model. I knew that patience would be required to wait for the right saw to appear, and soon discovered that a lot of others are watching for the same opportunities. I stepped up the frequency of searches and extended the area to half a day’s drive. Naturally, before traveling to a far-off saw I would have first to be convinced that inspection would result in a buy. My first such foray was a disaster. That DeWalt 7790 turned out quite rusty, and needed serious repair—so I returned from four hours of driving empty handed.

Last week a good listing came from a last-minute-before-going-to-bed search in reasonably near cities in Pennsylvania. I called the seller next morning to hear the 14-(!) inch Delta was in good shape but I got him to promise to send some good pictures so I might be convinced. That night my inbox was filled with fifteen large, high resolution shots of what looked too good to be true: a beautiful cast iron everywhere machine without visible flaws. The seller didn’t know the model number, but the current Delta 33-401 seems to be like it. I had no trouble with his asking price of $300. The saw was so tall that a low open trailer would be needed. At almost 900 pounds I had to make a ramp so the two of us could roll the saw on. The trip to Harrisburg and back last Saturday was quite an adventure.

Oh, it came with two very nice high-tooth-count carbide-tipped 14 inch blades, one for cross-cutting and the other for ripping. And a moulding head cutter. And the anti-kickback device for ripping. The arm is long enough to cut either way about 24 inches. (Ooooh.) Clicking parts into the fixed detents gives a solid, unmovable feel (quite unlike I am used to with the Craftsman). The tracks in the arm are perfectly smooth.

The bad: I added a new electrical plug because it was equipped with the type for a clothes dryer. The arbor wrenches are missing. The wheels are far to puny for such a massive machine.

I’m now busy detailing the saw for bits of dust from cracks, smudges, that sort of thing.
The attached should hold the usual doubters who say it didn't happen unless there's a picture.

Carl Babel
03-07-2011, 11:40 AM
A: SUPER GLOAT!
[snip]
I had no trouble with his asking price of $300.
[snip]

$300 :eek:. You SUPER suck!

;) Congrats!

Matt Day
03-07-2011, 11:42 AM
It looks like a big chair under a tarp on a trailer to me!

If it really is a 14" RAS - congrats! Sure sounds like a beast of a machine.

Bryan Slimp
03-07-2011, 2:53 PM
I think it's really one of those free pianos my wife wants me to get off of CL.

Dan Friedrichs
03-07-2011, 3:16 PM
I think it's really one of those free pianos my wife wants me to get off of CL.

We won't know for sure until he posts more pictures... :)

Chris Padilla
03-07-2011, 4:03 PM
Picture? Looks like canvas over a U-Haul trailer is what you got!!

I say: Still didn't happen!!! :D

David Winer
03-07-2011, 4:08 PM
We won't know for sure until he posts more pictures... :)
O.k., o.k., so some people have to be convinced. Here are a few of the photos the seller sent me, greatly reduced for attaching here. I took the picture with the orange shirt showing the first minute after arriving. (Previous owner is cropped out to honor his privacy.) If you look closely at the close-up of the tags you can see the awful imbedded sawdust that I'm having to contend with around the screws.185555185557185558185556

Mike Archambeau
03-07-2011, 4:59 PM
Q: What wears a cape, turns people green, and flies?

Is it the Fes-ghoul? (ryhmes with fes-fool)

keith ouellette
03-07-2011, 8:09 PM
Thats pretty cool david. What size arbor does that machine have? I was looking at something of a similar size the other day but I didn't snatch it up because the arbor was 1".

David Winer
03-07-2011, 9:41 PM
Thats pretty cool david. What size arbor does that machine have? I was looking at something of a similar size the other day but I didn't snatch it up because the arbor was 1".
My Craftsman 12" uses a 5/8" arbor. I always felt this was a disadvantage because local stores carry only 12 " blades with 1" arbors; one has to search the internet to find large blades that fit 5/8" arbors. My new (old) 14" Delta has a 1" arbor. Larger saws than 10" are unlikely to have 5/8" arbors, the Craftsman excepted. And while you are cogitating on these matters, don't forget that the choice of blades for a radial arm saw should be limited to low, zero, or negative hook angle.

Micheal Roth
03-07-2011, 9:52 PM
Yes,,,,, you really do suck!

Mike Cruz
03-08-2011, 12:02 AM
Wow, great deal on a beautiful machine...if you like RASs. :D Actually, even if you don't like 'em, you've gotta appreciated that old monster. Congrats.

Mike Heidrick
03-08-2011, 2:02 AM

Lots of deals on 1" arbor hole large RAS blades out there. I bought a Forrest WWI 16" for $87 from amazon (they have crazy sales on them some days) and bought the 10" Ridge carbide dado master stack for $180 new from The Wood Working Show. The 16" Freud Cabinet Maker blade was another $85.

Nice looking RAS David.

Bruce Wrenn
03-08-2011, 10:17 PM
My Craftsman 12" uses a 5/8" arbor. I always felt this was a disadvantage because local stores carry only 12 " blades with 1" arbors; one has to search the internet to find large blades that fit 5/8" arbors. My new (old) 14" Delta has a 1" arbor. Larger saws than 10" are unlikely to have 5/8" arbors, the Craftsman excepted. And while you are cogitating on these matters, don't forget that the choice of blades for a radial arm saw should be limited to low, zero, or negative hook angle.5/8" arbor isn't a problem. Almost every blade manufacturer makes a 5/8" X 1" bushing. I buy mine from the DeWalt Service Center. They are used on a DeWalt 705 CMS.