PDA

View Full Version : Lathe speed questions.....

Bill White
03-07-2011, 10:38 AM
:confused: I rarely read any speed suggestions or "thumb" rules relating to turning. I see "slower speed" or "higher speed". Am I missin' something, or are speeds just relative to the turners experience?
Bill

Bernie Weishapl
03-07-2011, 11:05 AM
Bill I don't worry about speed much anymore. I turn where I am comfortable. When doing a out of balance piece I slow the lathe down till the lathe is stable and doesn't rock. I increase the speed as it becomes round and more balanced. I think it is like you said most turn what they are comfortable with and your experience does play in. A few years ago I wouldn't turn a bowl above 500 or so rpm because I just wasn't comfortable with anything above that. Today I finish turning a bowl around 1000 to 1100 rpm.

David E Keller
03-07-2011, 11:09 AM
Faster speeds generally allow for easier cuts, so I tend to turn as fast as I'm comfortable. As Bernie said, it takes a little while to get 'comfortable'.

Jim Burr
03-07-2011, 11:10 AM
It's both comfort and common sense Bill. I'll spin a pen at 3000, but a HF at 5-800. Stability plays a huge part...also how willing you are to take a high speed log in the chest if the tenon fails.

Richard Coers
03-07-2011, 11:10 AM
Speeds aren't even relative to experience. It's just what you feel comfortable with. People will turn on treadle lathes that are lucky to hit 300rpm, and others will jack up the speed on an electric lathe so the gouge doesn't rattle so hard between the high spots. If the tools are sharp, and you give them time to cut without forcing them, you can turn at any speed. Try different speeds and turn at what you like.

Scott Hackler
03-07-2011, 11:12 AM
Definitely agree with Bernie. I rough out out of balance stuff, as fast as the lathe will take without shaking violently! Once balanced I turn larger stuff, like bowls, at 1000 - 1400 rpm. On smaller stuff (spindles and finials), I start and keep it at 2000ish. I DONT recommend these speeds for the new turner but it sure is nicer to turn at high speed, once your skill level puts you comfortable with those higher speeds.

Michael Mills
03-07-2011, 1:08 PM
My answer is about the same as everyone else ... relative to the turner.
However, here (page 17 or18) are General Guidelines from Nova for their lathes for rough turning and finish turning.
http://www.teknatool.com/products/lathes/1624/Downloads/NOVA1624_manual_Jun_08.pdf

Thom Sturgill
03-07-2011, 1:37 PM
There is a formula that has been around for years: 6000 >= rpm*diameter <=9000
I know Dale (Craft Supplies USA) uses this and i have seen others refer to it. The key is that the cutting speed needs to be in a certain range in terms of surface feet per second for best results, but that is related to the diameter. So the RPMs * diameter should be between 6000 and 9000. And that is *after* you have rounded the piece to balance it.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-07-2011, 1:50 PM
Here's recommendations from CSUSA's resource page..... http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/article/31?Args=

Prashun Patel
03-07-2011, 2:14 PM
I turn bowls mainly. I read somewhere that one should turn at a speed just fast enough that it doesn't wobble. That rule of thumb works for me mostly, but is trumped whenever my gut feeling says differently.

I actually find it easier sometimes to turn at high speed because it makes it easier to keep the gouge at a constant distance and to 'let the wood come to the tool'.

Jack Mincey
03-07-2011, 4:20 PM
I know it is easier to turn at higher speeds, but one doesn't want to ignore the speeds that one can get from the formula that has been posted. Dia. x RPM should equal between 6000 to 9000. Less than this is fine in my book, but to go beyond this can be disastrous if all doesn't go well. I have seen the result of a fellow turner having two different bowls explode from to high a RPM's and both times he was luck not to be put in the hospital. The power that occurs when a 15" dia. bowl comes apart on the lathe is hard to believe. I tell my students that speed kills. Turning stops being fun when one gets hurt so be careful especially with larger bowls.
Jack

Peter Hay in Aus
03-07-2011, 4:35 PM
Morning,
With regard to Lathe speed liken it to driving a car, lugging your lathe is about impressive as driving up an incline without dropping down a gear when it is patently obvious it is needed and so on one could go so the whole point is down to your ability and confidence to drive your lathe within common sense being aware of the variables and consequences. Remember always that equal and opposite forces do come into play. I watch as pro turners throw timber onto moving lathes in production mode this is a nno no for you and me. OH and S principles demand and command respect, eg never drink and drive, what height is your lathe in relation to your height and build, do you have loose sleeves, long unrestrained hair, do you use safety breathing and eye protection, how strong are you or is your lathe, how stable are you or your lathe. All this is about you, make it your practice to observe and stay safe, all of the operations are down to you, you will become as adept as you can be by observing the rules of the workshop, never place yourself in the position where other people unananouced can approach you, startle you or distract you. You are in charge of a lethal potential with a moving object that can become a UFO. So your question is completely open ended my thought simply imply you become the master of your own fate, no one in this litigeous society will make absolute statements regarding speeds on a lathe what I have said is sharing a little of my twenty odd years experience as it relates to me. I made my first lathe so I learned from first principles. Join a Wood Club ask, view form opinions based on experienced demonstrators (this is for me not for me, I can do this , I will never do that)

Have fun I do. Regards Peter.

neil mackay
03-07-2011, 5:52 PM
Rarely pay much attention to speed charts. They are at best a generalization, as each turning blank will be different. Hard, soft, punky, lopsided, out of balance, in balance, holes, no holes, and so on.
In the beginning they can be handy to get you started, but as previously stated, experience will tell you whats safe and whats not.

If in doubt slow down till you feel comfortable

Wally Dickerman
03-07-2011, 7:34 PM
What you should realize is that RPM's are not really important. Surface speed of the wood is. A 10 inch bowl turning at 1000 RPM's has more surface speed on the wood than a pen turned at 3000 RPM