PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else enter the "Choice Woods Tournament"?

Jeff Myroup
03-07-2011, 10:01 AM
Anyone else enter the "choice woods tournament"? Seems to be some pretty stiff competition.

Michael E. Thompson
03-07-2011, 11:10 AM
Have not heard about it. Do they have a website?

Jim Burr
03-07-2011, 11:19 AM
Any kind of link Jeff?

David E Keller
03-07-2011, 11:21 AM
I didn't enter, but after seeing some of the names that did, my fragile ego is much safer on the sidelines. I'm looking forward to seeing how the whole thing goes down.

Just google 'choice woods', and you'll find the website.

David DeCristoforo
03-07-2011, 11:33 AM
"...google 'choice woods', and you'll find the website..."

The links on their site return a "fatal error" in the PHP code. So you can't see the pages!?!?

Jim Burr
03-07-2011, 12:19 PM
http://www.choice-woods.com/ seems to work ok

Dennis Ford
03-07-2011, 12:29 PM
I entered, seemed like fun.

Dick Wilson
03-07-2011, 12:40 PM
This is the first I have heard of this contest. Anyone know anything about it other than it is a viewers vote????

Chip Sutherland
03-07-2011, 1:05 PM
The links off of the 'March Madness' page are not working on the site. So we cannot see the entry/contest rules. Seems like there are multitudes of high-end artsy embellished pieces entered. Might be a good time to slip in a traditional bowl with great form and symmetry in grain lines. But it won't be me...too busy.

David E Keller
03-07-2011, 1:32 PM
I think the deadline has come and gone for entry. It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

DD, sorry that the google didn't work, but Jim's link should get you there. I'm on there email list, so that' how I heard about it.

Jeff Myroup
03-07-2011, 1:42 PM
This is the first I have heard of this contest. Anyone know anything about it other than it is a viewers vote????

Dick
It was only open to amateurs. It is pretty cool and based on the NCAA tournament. There are 4 brackets and all viewers choice. They had over 100 people enter and I guess the people for whom the region is named selected the 64 finalists.

Jeff Myroup
03-07-2011, 1:43 PM
I entered, seemed like fun.

What region are you in Dennis? When do you come up? I am in the Mahoney region and don't come up until the 14th

Alan Zenreich
03-07-2011, 1:51 PM
I personally don't enter contests. It's not something that suits me.
I do like to participate in challenges and exhibitions.
For me it's about the work, not about winning.
So if there is a judging, I do not participate.

It seems that TV these days is flooded with contests... about EVERYTHING. Some people really like them (and the artificial drama that ensues). I find them irritating, and the contest gets in the way of displaying the talent.

Dick Wilson
03-07-2011, 2:14 PM
I personally don't enter contests. It's not something that suits me.
I do like to participate in challenges and exhibitions.
For me it's about the work, not about winning.
So if there is a judging, I do not participate.

It seems that TV these days is flooded with contests... about EVERYTHING. Some people really like them (and the artificial drama that ensues). I find them irritating, and the contest gets in the way of displaying the talent.

Alan,

As far as slaving away in my studio with the aim of entering contests to win money...forget it. Hey it would be wonderful, but that is not my intent. I am entering more and more regional/national art competitions simply to get my name out there. I am currently in a regional art competition. I just got a call from a lady who saw my work in the show and wants me to turn a piece for her daughter. My design/idea, my time, just as long as it is ready for Christmas. Sometimes it is worth it.

Jeff Myroup
03-07-2011, 2:51 PM
Alan,

As far as slaving away in my studio with the aim of entering contests to win money...forget it. Hey it would be wonderful, but that is not my intent. I am entering more and more regional/national art competitions simply to get my name out there. I am currently in a regional art competition. I just got a call from a lady who saw my work in the show and wants me to turn a piece for her daughter. My design/idea, my time, just as long as it is ready for Christmas. Sometimes it is worth it.

Dick, I could not have said it better. I have received a couple of commissions that I otherwise would not have gotten had it not been for juried shows and competitions.

Alan Zenreich
03-07-2011, 3:37 PM
Yes, I understand the marketing value in entering contests. It's often a business decision. 30 years ago, I competed in professional photographic competitions, and won many awards on a local and state level. However, when looking at the process more closely, I decided not to continue.

My reasons for withdrawing have more to do with the contest process, and how it generally promotes very high quality mediocrity (producing items to please the judges, and that's a moving target). You know, there was a time when oil paintings were scrutinized by "the academy" to determine what was good and appropriate use of the medium.

I like playing games. I don't like playing games where the rules change each time you play.

There's a catch-22 when critcising a contest process. If you haven't won, then it's sour grapes. If you have won, then you don't have the right to criticize (after all, you kept the ribbons and trophies). Years ago, a wonderful photographer named Peter Nicastro wrote a series of articles called "The Meat Parade", being very critical of the photo contest process. You can only imagine the amount of heat he got for it... yet I agreed with his entire premise.

So, I certainly don't begrudge others who like to enter and support contests. I realize that I'm likely in the minority. Also please consider that I was born without the sports chromasome. If there was a challenge where lots of people were allowed to enter and then to thank people for their participation, some gifts were sent to randomly selected people...that would be more my style. Maybe the more items you submitted, the more chances you get for a gift.

Perhaps this part of the discussion would be better placed in another forum area. But the comments about fragile egos not submitting an item for consideration because of the other participants is exactly the kind of thing I don't like about contests, and thought I'd explain why I (and perhaps some others) don't participate. Some won't participate because they feel there's no chance of winning. Take the "winning" part out of the equation, and I'm in. I like a challenge.

Thanks for your ear.

David E Keller
03-07-2011, 3:44 PM
...But the comments about fragile egos not submitting an item for consideration because of the other participants is exactly the kind of thing I don't like about contests...

I can assure you that the comment was very 'tongue in cheek'. I enjoy turning as a hobby, but I don't take myself or my turning that seriously. I would have entered something if I had anything recent worth sharing, but I don't. I do understand your points about contests, but I felt the need to clarify my post. Happy turning.

Alan Trout
03-07-2011, 4:42 PM
I just saw this the other day. I would have made something for it but the deadline has passed, maybe next time. Heck turning time the last month has been a pretty rare commodity for me. I am trying to get my shop organized for better production but the organization is killing me. Hopefully I can get it buttoned up in the next week or to and get making some pieces that I need to get out.

Alan

Bernie Weishapl
03-07-2011, 10:10 PM
Nope missed the deadline.

Jim Adkins
03-10-2011, 6:34 PM
Hey Guys....I'm in this thing, in the Droza region and did survive the first round.
I have done a couple of demos at Choice Woods for the Louisville Area Woodturners
and was on their email list. So good luck Jeff on the 14th, will cast my vote for
a fellow Creeker.
Thanks
Jim A.

Jeff Myroup
03-10-2011, 9:16 PM
Hey Guys....I'm in this thing, in the Droza region and did survive the first round.
I have done a couple of demos at Choice Woods for the Louisville Area Woodturners
and was on their email list. So good luck Jeff on the 14th, will cast my vote for
a fellow Creeker.
Thanks
Jim A.

Thanks Jim,
I voted for yours yesterday. It is a great looking piece. Hopefully we will meet in the final 4