PDA

View Full Version : How would you make this?

Russell Smallwood
03-07-2011, 9:54 AM
Most of what is displayed is obvious except for the rounded section, second from the top.

I would assume some kind of molding plane was originally used for this but It looks a bit large for something you would stick in a router. Is there such thing as a rounded panel raising bit?

I suppose a spokeshave is the lowest common denominator.

Note to self: I should probably post this over in the Neader forum as well...

http://www.oldhouseonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/waller2.jpg

Jamie Buxton
03-07-2011, 10:07 AM
It doesn't even have to be something as formal as a molding plane. You can shape that profile with an ordinary plane. You rough it out with the table saw. Then you write the profile on the ends of the blank, and use the regular plane to get down very close to it. A little sandpaper smoothes the facets into a smooth curve. It is really very easy.

Of course, you shape one long blank, and cut it into four pieces afterwards.

Matt Day
03-07-2011, 10:11 AM
And make sure to leave plenty of nail holes when you install it :)

I agree with Jamie on how to make it. Unless you have to make 10 of them, I'd attack it with a hand plane first (or use this as a reason to by a spokeshave).

Russell Smallwood
03-07-2011, 10:13 AM
It doesn't even have to be something as formal as a molding plane. You can shape that profile with an ordinary plane. You rough it out with the table saw. Then you write the profile on the ends of the blank, and use the regular plane to get down very close to it. A little sandpaper smoothes the facets into a smooth curve. It is really very easy.

Of course, you shape one long blank, and cut it into four pieces afterwards.

Hey Jamie,

Thanks, that sounds pretty straight forward, I'll give it a try. I guess my brain is stuck in single swipe mode :)

Bill Huber
03-07-2011, 10:27 AM
Could you use something like this with a router table?

http://www.eagleamerica.com/product/v805-9027/router_bits_-_freud

Russell Smallwood
03-07-2011, 10:31 AM
Could you use something like this with a router table?

http://www.eagleamerica.com/product/v805-9027/router_bits_-_freud

I don't think that profile is large enough. I have a couple of big round over bits and they are too small for something like that.

Gregory King
03-07-2011, 11:58 AM
Russell, it looks like a softer variety of wood. Perhaps pine, cedar or hemlock. If you rough cut the piece on the table saw by marking the profile on both ends first , you will be surprised about how little sanding you will have to do. Sometimes a quick light pass the with the block plane will save a lot of sanding after your initial cuts. Trust me its easy. Cut a second short piece for testing, first. That's a must.

glenn bradley
03-07-2011, 12:01 PM
And make sure to leave plenty of nail holes when you install it :)

Those aren't nail holes. that's how the "craftsman" signs his work.

Russell Smallwood
03-07-2011, 12:02 PM
Russell, it looks like a softer variety of wood. Perhaps pine, cedar or hemlock. If you rough cut the piece on the table saw by marking the profile on both ends first , you will be surprised about how little sanding you will have to do. Sometimes a quick light pass the with the block plane will save a lot of sanding after your initial cuts. Trust me its easy. Cut a second short piece for testing, first. That's a must.

This definitely sounds like the way to go. I guess I just wanted to be sure there wasn't some standard bit/plane/technique etc. It's not often you find something that isn't cookie cutter on trim work.

Sounds like a great excuse to exercise my hand tool skills :)

Thanks everyone.

Dave Zellers
03-07-2011, 12:44 PM
Looks like a thumb molding. There are cutters for that.