PDA

View Full Version : Priceless

Stephen Walker
03-07-2011, 8:21 AM
Cost of tolls - $12.50

Fuel for round trip to Wisconsin - $148.00

Short side trip stop in Chicago to pick this up - $175.00

Having this in the back of my truck - PRICELESS!

Unloaded on Sunday afternoon, and got it leveled up in its temporary home till the new shop is done. Of course I just had to do something to get it dirty...

So remembering the thread of the bowl of fruit, decided an apple was on the menu.

Ended up just finishing up the pedestal and leaving it on there. Apple on a stick!

This is gonna be sooo time consuming!

Steve

Tim Rinehart
03-07-2011, 8:28 AM
Hey Steve, nice catch! Looks like an either 'new' or 'gently used' A model you have there.
I can only imagine as you were driving it back, the number of turners with their LOTLs, pointing and saying..."See, that's what I want for my Birthday/Christmas/Valentines day..."

Enjoy! Nice apple too!

Jim Burr
03-07-2011, 8:36 AM
You had a catch on the apple:eek:? I didn't see it...Oh...the lathe...yeah, it's ok too:p, but the grinder really caught my eye:rolleyes:. Ha!! Nice weekend haul...most people just go to the store!:cool:

Stephen Walker
03-07-2011, 8:38 AM
Guess I should have been a little more revealing. It's a little used (about 50 hours according to the seller) 4224. It is 9 years old, but looks almost new. A few paint chips, and a little bit of staining, but I think it will do me just fine.

The apple is out of a piece of pin oak. It was the first piece of wood that I grabbed. I really didn't care at the time what wood I used, just had to turn something.

steven carter
03-07-2011, 8:44 AM
Congrats on the new lathe, it looks to be in great shape.

bob svoboda
03-07-2011, 9:01 AM
Nice score. That's one great looking set-up. Enjoy!!

John Keeton
03-07-2011, 9:13 AM
Sweet! But, you didn't include the cost of gas....and, the thousands of dollars you will be spending in the coming months!!!

Stephen Walker
03-07-2011, 9:25 AM
Sweet! But, you didn't include the cost of gas....and, the thousands of dollars you will be spending in the coming months!!!

John,

I figure it's best to not even think about keeping track of future spending. I wouldn't want to be scared that bad

Jason Roehl
03-07-2011, 9:27 AM
You could pour some thick oil poly over it, then it would look like a caramel apple on a stick. Runs and drips, for once, would enhance the effect.

Bernie Weishapl
03-07-2011, 10:06 AM
Congrats on a nice looking lathe and sharpening system. I like the apple on a stick.

Roger Chandler
03-07-2011, 10:09 AM
Hey Steve, nice catch! Looks like an either 'new' or 'gently used' A model you have there.
I can only imagine as you were driving it back, the number of turners with their LOTLs, pointing and saying..."See, that's what I want for my Birthday/Christmas/Valentines day..."

Enjoy! Nice apple too!

That is a PM 4224........no sliding headstock, but a fantastic lathe!

David E Keller
03-07-2011, 10:50 AM
Wow! That's your starter lathe? You may be the smartest turner I know. No messing around with a little bottle stopper starter lathe... You just jump right in with top of the line mustard! Looks like you'll be a little disappointed with my little 3520 when you make the trip this way.

Congrats on a great new tool!

Jon McElwain
03-07-2011, 10:51 AM
Gosh, I could have sworn that I saw this thread a couple months ago. It's like Dijon vu, the same mustard as before....

Congrats on the lathe!!

Stephen Walker
03-07-2011, 10:59 AM
David, I don't think I'll be disappointed with your lathe. I was actually looking for a 3520, this came along and was to good of a deal to pass up. I guess I can't miss a sliding headstock if I've not had one.

Steve

Wow! That's your starter lathe? You may be the smartest turner I know. No messing around with a little bottle stopper starter lathe... You just jump right in with top of the line mustard! Looks like you'll be a little disappointed with my little 3520 when you make the trip this way.

Congrats on a great new tool!

Steve Vaughan
03-07-2011, 11:00 AM
Wish I could have a weekend like that! That right there makes for a really great trip, for sure! I agree on the apple, but dye it red first, or red-tint something glossy and coat it real good for that candy apple affect!

David E Keller
03-07-2011, 11:04 AM
David, I don't think I'll be disappointed with your lathe. I was actually looking for a 3520, this came along and was to good of a deal to pass up. I guess I can't miss a sliding headstock if I've not had one.

Steve

If it makes you feel any better, I can't remember the last time I adjusted the position of the headstock. The extra 4" of swing will more than compensate you for the lack of sliding.

charlie knighton
03-07-2011, 12:31 PM
congratulations

Dan Forman
03-07-2011, 12:41 PM
That was quite the haul. First of many rewarding weekends I'm sure. Great way to start out, and a good move. I did basically the same thing - bought a Rikon mini from Woodcraft, never even set it up, just returned it the next day and ordered a Powermatic 3520B. Figured this would be one thing I wouldn't have to upgrade any time soon. I haven't moved my headstock either but then I don't have to room at the end to stand anyway.

Dan

Steve Schlumpf
03-07-2011, 5:08 PM
Steve - Congrats on your new lathe! Looks like you are having fun with it already! Nice Apple!

Joe Scarfo
03-08-2011, 10:45 AM
Wow... congrats on the new lathe... I'm sure you'll have thousands of hours of fun...