PDA

View Full Version : Which Oneway wheel balancer kit.

Gordon Thompson
03-07-2011, 7:13 AM
Can someone confirm which wheel balancer kit i need to order for the woodcraft slow spped grinder? 5/8 or 1/2?

I beleive its the 5/8 i need, but wanted confirmation before ordering.

Picked up the grinder Friday, and there's definetly a heavy spot in the wheels...after stopping they will roll backwards..

Thanks!

Jim McFarland
03-07-2011, 7:24 AM
5/8" is the arbor shaft size on my WC slow speed grinder but you will need wheels with a 1" hole. Stock wheels on my WC grinder are not 1" hole so I coudn't use the Oneway balance flanges. I did upgrade to Norton wheels with 1" holes and installed the 5/8" Oneway system -- works great.

Gordon Thompson
03-07-2011, 7:36 AM
5/8" is the arbor shaft size on my WC slow speed grinder but you will need wheels with a 1" hole. Stock wheels on my WC grinder are not 1" hole so I coudn't use the Oneway balance flanges. I did upgrade to Norton wheels with 1" holes and installed the 5/8" Oneway system -- works great.

really??? that sucks. I bought it because the wheels on my 6in grinder were getting worn down, and with the woodcraft one on sale, it was an opportune time to upgrade.

bob svoboda
03-07-2011, 9:28 AM
My experience is the same as Jim's.

Thom Sturgill
03-07-2011, 9:58 AM
This seems to be a standard practice. The wheel manufacturers and retailers do not want to stock multiple items with only an arbor size to differentiate them, while grinder manufacturers buy enough wheels to make it worth the wheel manufacturers money to make OEM wheels that fit.

I would suggest using Gieger's truing device (http://www.geigerssolutions.com/trudress.html) to true the wheel, check for wobble and use small labels to shim it true and then re-true the wheel. It it still is off, replace the wheel. You would be well off with the Geiger device anyway.

If you decide not to buy the OneWay device, get a steel drill bushing that adapts direct from the 1" wheel to the 5/8 arbor (check McMaster-Carr (http://www.mcmaster.com/#drill-bushings-and-liners/=bbw0bz) they are about $10) The plastic inserts that come with the wheels are JUNK. You can improve them slightly by using some CA glue on them to make them act like a single solid piece.

Even if you do buy the OneWay balancer, true the wheel with something better than a T-handle dresser, you'll be surprised at the difference. Just my $.02, not related to Geiger, just a satisfied customer!

Gordon Thompson
03-07-2011, 10:04 AM
thanks.

Does anyone know the stock wheel hole size? I am going to try some drill bushings. If someone knows the size, i can pick some up on the way home.

I did use a truing device (the wolverine one), the wheel sure seems to have a heavy 'side'.

Bernie Weishapl
03-07-2011, 10:23 AM
I upgraded to Norton wheels which took care of my problem. So far haven't needed the balancing system but do use the Geiger truing tool. Makes a world of difference over the T truing tool.

Gordon Thompson
03-07-2011, 5:25 PM
BTW - The newer woodcraft grinders do seem to have a wheel with a 1 inch hole...at least .985 on my micrometer....got home and measured....after i ordered the 7/8 drill bushings.....

Harry Robinette
03-08-2011, 2:39 AM
Gordon
If you mark the wheel at 12 o'clock and rotate that mark 90* while holding the other wheel and spin it by hand,if it's getting better then go a little more if getting worse then go the other way.This is how grinding wheels have been balance for years.Just keep playing, it normally take 4 or 5 times per wheel,also take the flanges off both sides of the wheel and try to flaten then with sand paper on your work bench.This will help the whabull back and forth if you have any.Then use the Geiger truing diamond.Just MHO