PDA

View Full Version : Is a Jet jbm 5 mortice machine worth $150?

shane lyall
03-07-2011, 4:00 AM
Been looking around for a used benchtop at a good price since I don't know if I will use it. I sent a e-mail to ask for pics and if he has all the chisels.

Andrew Kertesz
03-07-2011, 7:30 AM
That's about half the cost of new. I thought one of the woodworking magazines recently did a review on benchtop mortisers but don't remember which one. I think it may have been Wood magazine. Personally I don't have any experience in this area.

Matt Kestenbaum
03-07-2011, 10:06 AM
I have that machine. The price is a good one, but whether you will value the machine is more a matter of expectations and work load. I have found mine to be useful and I am glad I bought it (used too, for $175 w/ chisels...I think that is what paid), but it is not nearly as effective as I was hoping it would be. The table/fence/hold-down system is really poor and usually requires extra set-up and clamping, which makes mortising slow. Not as slow as drill press and traditional chisel, but not like a more sophisticated machine. There are some articles out there that describe jigging them up to be more effective...the one I downloaded was two parts...a plywood box stand that replaces the mdf table and then converting the handle/screws on a machinist's cross slide vice so that it fit in the box/stand below the machine. I have the materials but the used cross slide vice I got seems to have so much slop in it I haven't had enough confidence that it would work to actually build the box/stand.

I have been working on a pair of bedside tables that have a sort grill work on three sides...for cutting dozens of square holes it was perfect. No need to keep advancing the workpiece. However, for longer mortises like mortising table legs to accept aprons, I still found the router and a simple jig to be more effective, smoother and faster.

Both FWW and Wood have done reviews and the JBM-5 is usually not as well liked as the Powermatic, as it has a more robust table/fence and has eccentric clamp wheels. It is closer to $400 new and I have not seen one used. JBM-5 seems to show up used every 5-6 months from what I have seen. FWW stated emphatically that none of the bench top mortisers could hold a candle to the better floor models with x/y/z tables, integral vices and tilting heads. The General and PM score well there. Closer to $1K though...a whole different ball of wax.

Brent Ring
03-07-2011, 10:40 AM
I did what Matt is 3/4's of the way close to doing with the Jet and I love mine. I have an inexpensive HF cross vice on mine. THere is some slop to it, but my mortises have come out square and useable, including thru ones. THe Jet has to be maintained a little closer than the PM or General. But I am very happy with mine. Now if I could find chisels that did not need resharpening all the time. :)

Gene Thayer
03-07-2011, 12:47 PM
I bought one of these about a year ago from Woodcraft for $250 on sale. Like others have said here, it's OK for hobbyist use, but kind of fussy to set up compared to the (much) more expensive competition. That $150 price is a good one if it's in decent conditon.

Curt Harms
03-08-2011, 8:01 AM
I have that machine. The price is a good one, but whether you will value the machine is more a matter of expectations and work load. I have found mine to be useful and I am glad I bought it (used too, for $175 w/ chisels...I think that is what paid), but it is not nearly as effective as I was hoping it would be. The table/fence/hold-down system is really poor and usually requires extra set-up and clamping, which makes mortising slow. Not as slow as drill press and traditional chisel, but not like a more sophisticated machine. There are some articles out there that describe jigging them up to be more effective...the one I downloaded was two parts...a plywood box stand that replaces the mdf table and then converting the handle/screws on a machinist's cross slide vice so that it fit in the box/stand below the machine. I have the materials but the used cross slide vice I got seems to have so much slop in it I haven't had enough confidence that it would work to actually build the box/stand.

I have been working on a pair of bedside tables that have a sort grill work on three sides...for cutting dozens of square holes it was perfect. No need to keep advancing the workpiece. However, for longer mortises like mortising table legs to accept aprons, I still found the router and a simple jig to be more effective, smoother and faster.

Both FWW and Wood have done reviews and the JBM-5 is usually not as well liked as the Powermatic, as it has a more robust table/fence and has eccentric clamp wheels. It is closer to $400 new and I have not seen one used. JBM-5 seems to show up used every 5-6 months from what I have seen. FWW stated emphatically that none of the bench top mortisers could hold a candle to the better floor models with x/y/z tables, integral vices and tilting heads. The General and PM score well there. Closer to $1K though...a whole different ball of wax.

I have an XY vise from Grizzly years ago but I'll bet it's the same. There are screws with jamb nuts to adjust the slop. Mine isn't perfect but it's adequate for the job. Having said that, I tried it out and don't think I've used it since. I don't find myself doing mortise and tenon construction. Here's one thing I would recommend though--use the depth stop rod to hold the motor in the up position when it's not in use. I had to replace the gas spring after virtually no use. I assume it was because of constant pressure on the gas spring. The last time I checked the replacement spring was okay.

Matt Kestenbaum
03-08-2011, 9:59 PM
Interesting, thanks for the tip!

keith micinski
03-08-2011, 11:02 PM
I bought one used for 150 and am happy with it. The hold down system sucks like everyone said but to be honest with you I don't really know why you need to have the piece held down anyway. I always just use my hand and the chisel comes right up.