PDA

View Full Version : My $25 CL purchase last week

Cary Falk
03-07-2011, 3:45 AM
I have had Dewalt RAS on my brain for some time now. They used to scare me when I was a kid. My uncke probably had the wrong type of blade on it. I thought an old Dewalt would be fun to restore, but I don't know if I want to make room for one.I was cruising through the CL ads and saw and add that was 2 days old but it was only $25. The picture wasn't all that great but it looked kinda roough. It looked to be a DeWalt CI rectangular head. I kinda wanted a rounded one. The price was right so I called him up hoping he would say it was already sold so I wouldn't have to face this inner struggle. He said he still had it and he was close so I went over to look at it. Motor runs good. The column is tight. There isn't any play in the carriage. I handed over my $25. I disassembled it and tucked it away till I complete some other projects. I figure I can think about it for awhile and decide if I really want to make room for this and fix it up or flip it. I didn't want to regret not getting it later. I could probably double my money with a little clean up. It's a 1400. It takes a 10" blade. Motor can be wired 120/240. I think it is 3/4 hp. It's a little rough around the edges but she's all mine for now.

185524 (http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/caryincamas/DSC_0409.jpg)

Dave Gaul
03-07-2011, 8:53 AM
Nice score! I have never really wanted a RAS, but that looks like a good one to restore.. And it was made about 30 minutes from me!

Bill White
03-07-2011, 10:20 AM
I'll give ya $50.00 if you'll deliver.
Note to self:
Some guys find all the good deals.
Bill

Bryan Cramer
03-07-2011, 10:17 PM
This one looks older, but my dad had one in the early 70's and said it never stayed in adjustment like the miter settings etc. Still he said it was a good home-owner saw, great for cutting 2X4's but not for fine furniture work. Later in the early 80's he upgraded to a Sears-Craftsman which I still have. It is great for some odd-ball work. You can't beat $25.

Cary Falk
03-08-2011, 2:06 AM
This one looks older, but my dad had one in the early 70's and said it never stayed in adjustment like the miter settings etc. Still he said it was a good home-owner saw, great for cutting 2X4's but not for fine furniture work. Later in the early 80's he upgraded to a Sears-Craftsman which I still have. It is great for some odd-ball work. You can't beat $25.

This one was made in '63. From what I have read, It is just as accurate as the round arm Dewalts.

Bryan Cramer
03-08-2011, 10:13 PM
This one was made in '63. From what I have read, It is just as accurate as the round arm Dewalts.

Maybe they made a quality or design change. I am unfamiliar with the earlier ones. Now that you said it was made in '63 I think you did get a really good deal.

Charles Lent
03-09-2011, 10:04 AM
I had a mid 80's Craftsman and discovered that it would stay in adjustment if I didn't move it. Once moved it had to be completely re-adjusted, so I dedicated a spot for it and left it there. A friend told me later that this was a common problem with most radial arm saws. I don't know if this is true for other brands, but it certainly was for my saw.

Charley

Steve H Graham
03-09-2011, 10:53 AM
Unfortunately, we will have to kill you for this.