PDA

View Full Version : Question about refurbing a Stanley 102

dan sherman
03-06-2011, 10:23 PM
I have a Stanley 102, that I want to refurbish, can someone suggest the best way to remove the pin used as a fulcrum for the lever cap?

It's slightly bent and needs replaced. Not to mention repainting the sole will be easier with the pin removed.

Jim Koepke
03-06-2011, 10:34 PM
I would be careful about removing the pin. If you do have some rod of the exact same size, then I would be more willing to give it a try.

I haven't looked closely at mine, but it wouldn't surprise me to find the pin is peened at the sides. Otherwise it is a press fit and could be driven out with a punch or a nail.

How badly is it bent? Can it be straightened in place?

BTW, for mine the wide flat blade, #9, from a Stanley #45 made a great replacement blade. It is a bit heavier than the original.

jtk

dan sherman
03-06-2011, 11:36 PM
The bend isn't that bad, but it's enough to bother me. I have some stock of close to the right diameter, and I can use my metal lathe to make it the proper diameter if needed.

A friend has an arbor press so maybe that will help.

I would be careful about removing the pin. If you do have some rod of the exact same size, then I would be more willing to give it a try.

I haven't looked closely at mine, but it wouldn't surprise me to find the pin is peened at the sides. Otherwise it is a press fit and could be driven out with a punch or a nail.

How badly is it bent? Can it be straightened in place?

BTW, for mine the wide flat blade, #9, from a Stanley #45 made a great replacement blade. It is a bit heavier than the original.

jtk

Prashun Patel
03-07-2011, 9:16 AM
I had to remove the pin on a 102 I did last year. Mine was not peened, so it tapped right out. I wouldn't do it too many times, though, mine felt like it would eventually get loose enough to fall out on its own.

Can you just straighten it in place? Paint notwithstanding, that might be the easiest.