PDA

View Full Version : Pecan NE Bowl

Nate Davey
03-06-2011, 9:50 PM
Was out in the shop resawing some free Holly I picked up while walking the dog. Wanted to get the bark off it before it discolored the blanks. Anywho, made a 7" diameter NE bowl out of some Pecan I had laying around. Didn't quite get the front and back symmetric, but the sides are. I hand sanded this project with Abralon pads up to 600 then 4-5 coats of Bullseye Shellac. Now will let it set for a couple weeks before 2 wheel buffing, going to omit the White Diamond. I was too lazy to get my big photo backdrop out so used the one I printed on my printer for my pen photos. Camera set F8 with 4 second shutter speed.

Comments and criticisms welcomed.

Bernie Weishapl
03-06-2011, 9:54 PM
Really a nice looking NE Nate. Well done.

Steve Schlumpf
03-06-2011, 9:59 PM
Nate - that looks pretty cool! Nice form, great looking grain and I like the color of the bark!

kevin nee
03-07-2011, 6:49 AM
Why would you omit the White Diamond?

John Keeton
03-07-2011, 6:54 AM
Great looking bowl, Nate! You mentioned the holly once previously - nice stuff, and I hope it dries white for you. It is really prone to blue stain and spalting (which can also be very pretty, BTW!)

Jim Burr
03-07-2011, 8:19 AM
Lot's of great grain and color. I love the "I was in the shop doing "x" and decided this was more fun!" I was finding a place for my drill press yesterday and did 2 HF's in the DNA and a salt box. Great to be productive!

bob svoboda
03-07-2011, 9:24 AM
Nice job with the shape and balance of the NE. Love the color combo of the wood and bark.

Curt Fuller
03-07-2011, 9:58 AM
That's a good looking bowl. I like how you did the foot. Pretty wood too.

David E Keller
03-07-2011, 11:28 AM
Why would you omit the White Diamond?
White diamond and walnut is a bad combination unless you like little white specks in the pores. DAMHIKT

Jon Nuckles
03-07-2011, 4:38 PM
The lower front edge makes it perfect to display something inside. Maybe your next turning?

Nate Davey
03-07-2011, 6:58 PM
Thanks all for the kind comments.

Kevin, I've found with NE and porous woods white diamond can hang around after you use it. Really shows up on the bark. Also, not looking for a high gloss on this, just a nice sheen.

John K, hopefully by removing the bark, that will reduce or eliminate the staining. I'll let you know. This stuff is WET, so just hoping it doesn't mold.

John N, not a bad idea....maybe I can put off another project and...