PDA

View Full Version : Worksharp 3000 - Homemade Wide Blade Attachment

Don Jarvie
03-06-2011, 9:17 PM
In another post regarding the Worksharp I had mentioned I made a homemade Wide Blade attachment. I realized that you can buy a wide blade attachment when looking at a catalog the other day, Duh!

Anyhow here are a few pictures of mine. I "borrowed" the setup from another site. Its pretty easy to build out of 3/4 plywood. It makes quick work of sharpening plane blades. I need a better honing guide so I use the WS setup for chisels for now.

Bruce Mack
03-06-2011, 10:13 PM
Don- I like your set up and may copy it for my Worksharp which has been living in its box since I got it on the Home Depot special. I might try it with my Veritas honing guide for re-establishing the primary bevel before using the 5000 grit stone and the 3-M film for the micro bevel. Thanks.
Bruce

keith micinski
03-06-2011, 11:02 PM
I have a honing guide I got from Rockler for ten bucks and I was wondering why I couldn't set it up and use it on top of the worksharp? Has anyone tried this?

Don Jarvie
03-08-2011, 10:11 PM
Thats exactly what I do Keith. The platform allows you to roll the blade across the whell. It works great and very fast.

I have the same honing guide but the one wheel makes it a little harder with a chisel since its easier to wobble side to side. For plane blades this setup works great.

Since I have sharpened my plane blades I find myself using them more, before they collected dust.

keith micinski
03-08-2011, 10:53 PM
Dammit Don you are going to cost me money. A worksharp just showed up on Craigslist for 150 and I am probably going to have to buy it now that I know this idea would work.

Greg Labacz
03-09-2011, 7:11 AM
I just picked up the wide blade attachment for my workshop 3000 on amazon.com yesterday for $54.00 minus $50.00 rewards and free shipping for $4.00. Yeaaahhhh !!!!

Prashun Patel
03-09-2011, 9:17 AM
Very cool! Yr gonna love it!

I made one similar. It works very well. I rarely use the sharpening port now.

One thing I did on mine was add some leveling chair feet to make leveling adjustments easy. The first one I built had screws for feet. That worked, but you have to keep removing the table to adjust it. The leveling feet can be dialed up and down with the table in place.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?146283-Worksharp-Shopmade-Wide-Blade-Platform&highlight=worksharp

glenn bradley
03-12-2011, 12:35 PM
Don, thanks, you inspired me. Here's the result:

186392 186393

Don Jarvie
03-12-2011, 1:48 PM
Looks good Glenn. The WS is a lot of bang for your buck. Only drawback is having to buy more discs. One everything is sharp you probably won't go though them as fast.

Glad I could help.

glenn bradley
03-12-2011, 2:06 PM
Once everything is sharp you probably won't go though them as fast.

Very true. I've had mine since 2007 and have bought supplies a couple of times when they were on sale or when I got a gift card for some event. I also buy my own PSA products to use from other suppliers but, at this point those are mostly just stocked up. Once a tool is sharp, a couple seconds of touch up are all that is required to keep you going.