PDA

View Full Version : Another hollow form roughout.

Dan Forman
03-06-2011, 9:13 PM
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l279/T-Caster/P1030562.jpg

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l279/T-Caster/P1030566.jpg

Finished roughing this one out this afternoon. I left it about 3/4" thick, a little thinner at the mouth. This one is now in a bag to dry out. I gave it a good spin at 3000 rpm for a minute or so in order to force some more water out of it before bagging. With the light behind it, I could see a cloud of tiny droplets flying out. Siberian elm, will be about 7 x 5" when the foot is turned off. I plan to continue down a little farther on the foot, but wanted to leave enough support to carry it through finish turning without undue vibration.

For the inside I used the new Kelton hollowing bars I mentioned in another thread - had to sand the last two inches of the ends on the disc sander to shave off a few thousanths, so they would fit into the Monster, as they are 16mm rather than 5/8" in diameter. It worked out well - I don't think they vibrate as much as the swivel tip does, and they are a lot easier to get in and out of the hole for clearing the debris.

I took the pics in case this one doesn't make it past the drying stage -here's hopin'.

Dan

Steve Schlumpf
03-06-2011, 9:18 PM
Looks pretty good to me for a rough out! What kind of wood?

Dan Forman
03-06-2011, 9:24 PM
Steve- Thanks, it's Siberian elm, will be about 7 x 5" when the foot is turned off.

Dan

David E Keller
03-06-2011, 9:29 PM
Looks good, Dan. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it behaves while drying.

Steve Schlumpf
03-06-2011, 9:30 PM
Exceptional color and grain! Looking forward to seeing this one completed!

Bernie Weishapl
03-06-2011, 9:37 PM
Really nice wood and form Dan. Can't wait to see it finished.

David DeCristoforo
03-06-2011, 10:29 PM
Really like the way the grain flows around this form. Hope the drying goes OK....

Michael James
03-06-2011, 10:34 PM
Dang I wish our chinese elm looked that good...... sigh. Lookin good going into the last lap!
mj

John Keeton
03-07-2011, 6:57 AM
Dan, that sure is some nice looking wood and a very good start on the HF. Hope it dries in one piece for you!

Jim Burr
03-07-2011, 8:10 AM
Great looking grain Dan!! Form isn't shabby either. Gonna be beautiful when it's ready!

bob svoboda
03-07-2011, 9:27 AM
Nice job, Dan. Keeping my fingers crossed for a successful drying process-I'll look forward to the finished piece-should be a stunner!

Richard Coers
03-07-2011, 11:17 AM
I would suggest that 3/4" is pretty darned thick for a 7" vessel. Have you had elm move a lot for you? What wall thickness do you plan on leaving when dry? Even if you plan on 1/4" wall, you've got a lot of material there to dry out. Good luck.

Scott Hackler
03-07-2011, 11:18 AM
Nice form Dan. I love turning Siberian Elm. Sure wish we 1) had a bunch of it around here and 2) wish I didn't destroy the only piece of it I had, thanks to Jeff Nicol, when it EXPLODED off the lathe.... :(

I am biased, but BLO really brings out the grain and instantly warms Siberian Elm.

Ian Jeffcock
03-07-2011, 2:06 PM
Dan, Nice form. Never tried Siberian Elm before, but used alot of Dutch Elm last year. Really stinks when its wet but turns nice. Seems to dry well. Have to be careful when sanding. Likes to make ridges.

Dan Forman
03-07-2011, 2:33 PM
Thanks guys!

Richard---This will be the first "returned" hollow form. I assume they move about the same as a bowl, in which case 10% is the general rule, so 3/4" is pretty close to standard. Most of the elm bowls I've roughed have ovaled quite a bit, so I would expect the same for a hollow form. Is there something about a hollow form (same blank orientation as a bowl) that dries and warps differently than a bowl?

Ian---The elm sure smells funky, though I must be getting used to it because I didn't notice it all that much last night. I got a pretty good stash of it from a pile I ran across in someone's front yard while on a walk.

Dan