PDA

View Full Version : almost killed it...

Russell Eaton
03-06-2011, 8:40 PM
This is a project I saw on youtube and thought that I would try. I used Black Wallnut, Maple burl for the top and stabilized Holly for the finial. It was touch and go for a little while. The wings started to bounce while I was attempting to get them smooth. I should have taken them to the correct thickness as I worked my way up the taper. Live and learn! It was my second attempt, the first was not great. The edge of the wing is pretty thin, it measures 1/8 in the middle. Hope you enjoy, this was my Sunday afternoon nap project. Russell

Jim Burr
03-06-2011, 8:42 PM
So is it better to work your way in...or work your way out? Not fond of the finial, but the rest is great!!

Richard Madden
03-06-2011, 8:45 PM
Nice job, Russell, I like it. So, how would you rate this piece on the pucker factor scale??

Tim Thiebaut
03-06-2011, 8:48 PM
That looks great Russel, good job on this, I have been wanting to give this a go myself...just have some many things I have to get done first!

Dan Forman
03-06-2011, 8:54 PM
That's great! The finial looks like ivory. So you did this in your sleep? :D

Russell Eaton
03-06-2011, 9:04 PM
I would think work your way in for the extra support. The pucker factor is pretty high when the wings get that thin. I sanded the topside with the power sander while the piece was spinning, but the underside was done while the lathe was stopped. I am not that brave, the wings flex pretty good when they get that thin. And Dan I was WIDE awake for ALL of this one:rolleyes:. I am thinking of doing a different lid tomorrow, I wonder how it would look with the curve from the base going through the lid, then a different finial on top. Thanks for all the comments.

Steve Schlumpf
03-06-2011, 9:16 PM
Looks pretty good to me! Looking forward to seeing the lid/finial variation!

John Keeton
03-06-2011, 9:22 PM
Russell, very nice selection of woods, and an excellent job turning this. I do think the finial could be reworked a little - perhaps about 25% shorter. In fact, removing the middle section and dropping down the top section might be about right - has a nice taper to it.

Jerry Rhoads
03-06-2011, 9:35 PM
That sure was a good nap. Great work Russell

jerry

Bernie Weishapl
03-06-2011, 9:40 PM
Really nice piece Russell. I agree with shortening the finial slightly.

bob svoboda
03-07-2011, 9:43 AM
Very nice, Russell. Will look forward to your revision.

Curt Fuller
03-07-2011, 9:51 AM
That's pretty cool Russell. I like your idea of continuing the curve into the lid.

Ron Stadler
03-07-2011, 11:02 AM
Looks real nice Russel.