PDA

View Full Version : Miter saw question

Joe Ruszczyk
01-23-2005, 6:57 AM
After much research and reading I'm in the final stages of making a decision on which miter saw to add to our growing woodworking shop! I have all but chosen the Bosch 4410 for numerous reasons! That is until yesterday when I read about the Makita saws having "soft start"! This got me to thinking all over again about features I wanted in the saw I bought! How useful is "soft start" on a 10" miter saw? Would it actually add to the precision of cuts and to the reduction in user fatigue during long days in the shop?
Your comments and suggestions are appreciated. :confused:

Kirk (KC) Constable
01-23-2005, 7:40 AM
I don't think I'd like soft-start in a mitersaw. I know I don't like it on routers.

KC

Mark Singer
01-23-2005, 7:42 AM
I don't understand a soft start on a saw that is mounted . The blade should be spinning at full speed when it contacts the wood. This may be a feature you don't want....one that was added by Makita to out feature the competition...but, does not really work.

Steve Clardy
01-23-2005, 11:36 AM
Maybe You are referencing the KICK that some saws have when started?

I have two dewalt 705's, and a 708 slider. They have a kick when started. They try to raise up some if you don't have a good hold on them.
But I don't believe I would favor the soft start. As KC pointed out, none of my routers are soft start either. I just figure that the more electronics there are on tools, the more problems will arise.

Mike Cutler
01-23-2005, 12:05 PM
Joe. If this is your first post, welcome to the 'creek and nice to meet ya'. The Bosch slider is a mighty nice CMS, but so is the Makita with or without the soft start.
There is a technique to remove about 1/64" of the face of a cut with a CMS. You place the material against the blade with the blade in the lowered position and start the blade. You then pull the blade up and stop it. Maybe in this scenario a soft start would be of some benefit. Of course it's a lot easier to trim the material on the tablesaw if needed
I can't really see that either CMS would be a bad decision, go with your instincts. I don't see lack of soft start as a detriment or a benefit.
Once again nice to meet ya'

James Stokes
01-23-2005, 12:32 PM
I have a 10 inch Makita slide saw I am extremely happy with the saw. The soft start takes some getting used to, but I like it.

Kelly C. Hanna
01-23-2005, 12:40 PM
The soft start is great. I've had my 1013 Makita for 3 + years now and love it. It will help lengthen the life of the motor having the soft start feature and it's also a little safer as there is no torque jump at startup.

About the blade spinning up to speed...by the time you get the handle down and the blade to the wood, it's ready to cut, pretty much just like the ones without SS.

Scott Banbury
01-23-2005, 2:00 PM
I would think that soft start would be nice--I've replaced the offset gearing on my Delta twice in 8 years due to stripped keyways (part is cheap but it sucks when you ahve to wait 3 days to use your tool) and I think soft start would have avoided this.