PDA

View Full Version : Honey Locust bowl

Deane Allinson
03-06-2011, 6:01 PM
I tried turning something from dimensioned wood this time. I had a piece of 6x6x3 Honey locust. I broke a band saw blade trying to round it up. My 9" band saw is even a few years older than my lathe, late 30's - early 40's. PowerKraft. I have to thank to Bob Hamilton's video on turning a bowl with out a chuck. I'm getting the hang of what to do first, etc. The interior shape actually matched the exterior! The locust really takes a nice polish.
Deane

Donny Lawson
03-06-2011, 6:05 PM
Nice looking bowl. I've never turned a bowl without a chuck. Is that more difficult?

Steve Schlumpf
03-06-2011, 6:14 PM
Great looking bowl Deane! Love the wood! Could you give us some dimensions please?

Jim Burr
03-06-2011, 6:21 PM
Looks like a good sized Calabash Deane, 5x3 maybe?...very well done!

Deane Allinson
03-06-2011, 6:24 PM
It's about 5 1/2" wide and 3" tall. I don't know about the chuck, I don't have one. This was my 5th bowl and they are all still hard for me.
Deane

Mike Davis NC
03-06-2011, 6:33 PM
That is a nice bowl Deane. I turned my first bowls with just a faceplate and it is a lot harder than using a chuck.

I have turned locust also and I really like the finish it will make.

Dennis Ford
03-06-2011, 6:43 PM
That is a nice looking bowl, very good form. Using a faceplate instead of a chuck requires a different technique but I don't find it any harder to do. I use a faceplate on most things that are over 10" or so diameter.

Steve Vaughan
03-06-2011, 8:35 PM
That's really nice looking and you've given me something to look forward to. I've got a ton of honey locust bowls rough-turned and drying. I'm looking forward to nice looking grain like that. I like your size, the grain, and the shape.

Dan Forman
03-06-2011, 8:40 PM
Good looking bowl, love the wood. Looks like you got a very good finish. We have lots of black locust around here, not as pretty as the honey variety, ours is more yellow than golden. Pretty hard stuff!

Dan

Thomas Canfield
03-06-2011, 10:44 PM
Deane,

Your work looks good, but I think you really need to find some easier wood to work with. A neighbor brought be a section of Red Bud tree about 8"D x 12" L a couple of days ago that was fresh cut (he said it had flowers on some of the cut limbs) and that stuff turned like butter, but did have some smell. I roughed out 2 bowls, put one in DNA and put Anchorseal on other. Interesting wood. I never would have thought of using it, but now wish I had more. Keep your eyes open for someone cutting trees, almost any kind, in the area.

Bernie Weishapl
03-06-2011, 11:11 PM
Good looking bowl and wood Deane. I turned several without a chuck but it is sure easier with one.