PDA

View Full Version : Pens for the weekend

Donny Lawson
03-06-2011, 5:39 PM
Here are 3 pens I've been working on over this weekend. One is a new kit for me which is the Cigar kit. It was fun to make but it is heavy. The wood is Bocote. The second one is a Chorme Vertex kit. The wood for it is Rosewood. The last one was the biggest pain. It's a White Acrylic slimline with a logo on it. It took 2 tries to get it right. The first logo went on well but I ended up sanding off half the motorcycle before I realized it. It's for a buddy of mine at work who loves his motorcycle.

Jim Burr
03-06-2011, 5:47 PM
I'm still not a Vortex fan, but I love that cigar kit!! Where from if I may ask? If you sand off half the motorcycle...is it a mini-bike:p:rolleyes:? I lose sleep over this stuff:eek::p. Nice work Donny...how's the shop?

Gordon Thompson
03-06-2011, 5:55 PM
Is that logo a decal? Did you make it? That is very, very cool.

Donny Lawson
03-06-2011, 5:57 PM
That Cigar kit came from Woodcraft. I forgot to mention that when I finally finished the decal for the second time I realized the pen and bushings were well glued to the mandrel. I spent 30 minutes getting it apart. I almost got the hammer out but instead I sat down and cooled off then thought about it. I still got the hammer and knocked the mandrel through the pen blank and out through my tailstock. Luckly I have an adjustable mandrel or it might have gotten ugly. I used paste wax on the rest of the bushings. Hopefully that don't happen again.

Donny Lawson
03-06-2011, 5:58 PM
Sorry, I said logo. I meant decal. My Bad.

Jim Burr
03-06-2011, 6:25 PM
Put a little wax on the bushing before you insert it into the tube, CA won't stick and your BP will remain stable!!