PDA

View Full Version : Cracked maroon Stanley #4

Bob Stroupe
03-06-2011, 4:19 PM
I bought a maroon Stanley #4 a while ago. I thought it would make a good user, but after cleaning off the rust I found cracks stating from three comers of the mouth. One runs around and up the side of the cheek. Is this thing toast?
I'm getting ready to scavenge parts off of it, but I would rather make a user out of it if possible. As far as my eyes can tell I can't seem to get it to flex by hand. I put a sharp iron in it and took a couple of swipes off of a 2x4 and it seemed okay. Do you think it would be okay left as is?
I don't have the ability to braze, silver solder, or weld and I don't really want to pay somebody to do it. I'm not sure this plane would be worth the cost and hassle. I've read mention of using JB Weld in an old thread. Would this be a viable option or a waste of time?
Thanks

Greg Wease
03-06-2011, 7:31 PM
The maroon Stanleys aren't the best even without the cracks. I wouldn't put any more money into this one but don't see anything wrong with using it as-is until something better comes along. JB Weld wouldn't hurt it any!

James Scheffler
03-06-2011, 7:57 PM
Not worth putting a lot of time or money into this one. You can look at it as a science experiment, though. Try the JB Weld and report back whether or not it arrested the cracks.

You might find that the cracks on the sole scratch your work if any metal stands proud of the surface. You might need to sand or file it flush, but it may not stay that way. On the other hand, it may work. Try it!

Jim S.

Bob Warfield
03-06-2011, 10:47 PM
Bob, The only way to stop a crack from advancing is to drill a very small hole at both ends. If all the cracks originate from the mouth than of couese only drill the other end. J.B.weld wont do anything for you here. Sorry but your best bet is to use it as a parts plane only.
Good Luck,
Bob Warfield