PDA

View Full Version : Buckeye hollow form... looking for suggestions

Alan Zenreich
03-06-2011, 3:57 PM
I'm looking for some suggestion about taking the next steps (if any) with this little hollow form.

In another thread about my first use of a Monster articulated rid, I mentioned that I was working on a small stabilized buckeye burl piece I'd started some weeks ago.

Someone commented in the other thread that using a Monster rig for a small form was a bit of overkill. I thought about that, and wondered how many pens and miniatures are being turned on mustard monsters and other full size lathes.

So, as they say "you can turn small things on large lathes, but you can't turn large things on small lathes". The new corrolary is "... and you can turn small hollowforms on full size laser guided rigs".

I really liked working with the laser. When making small forms, there's not much room for error, as I wasn't trying to make a funnel.

So here I have a simple form. It's about 2.5" high, and the walls are 0.094" thick. As you can imagine, it's pretty light weight.

The outside is finished with micromesh and buffed (stabilized wood buffs beautifully). I might use some Tru-Oil or Antique Oil and Ren wax later.

I haven't finished the bottom or inside yet... pending decision on the next step.

I've been giving this piece quite a bit of thought,considering what I might could add to the hollow form. Finial and/or base and/or lid? Or just leave it alone, and perhaps chamfer the base and do some minor concentric lines on the base.

So, tell me... is this destined to be a little vase, jar, urn, or something on a "steeeeeck"?

Your thoughts are appreciated.

John Keeton
03-06-2011, 5:07 PM
Alan, I use my Monster rig on a lot of things that might be overkill. It just takes me a couple of minutes to get it out of the cabinet and on the lathe - why not?!?! This is a beautiful piece of wood, and a right nice vase form. It would look fine without a lid and/or finial, and I don't think a pedestal would work with it. Since it is already off the lathe, you are limited on doing anything more to the form.

I think I would be inclined to call it done, but a black lid, with a short finial/knob would work, too.

Steve Schlumpf
03-06-2011, 5:42 PM
I like it as a vase - and with the beauty of the wood, there is no need for anything extra. If possible, I would turn the base down to more of a taper as it would enhance the overall form - in my opinion.

Wally Dickerman
03-06-2011, 6:52 PM
Very nice little hollowform. Buckeye burl is a beautiful and unusual wood to turn. I would echo what Steve said. The very nice form would be improved if the the base was smaller, allowing the curve to continue all the way down. The rule of thirds works.

Brian McInturff
03-06-2011, 7:13 PM
If you label it a "Ginger Jar" then you can get away with it not being by the "rule of thirds". Of course it would need a lid like John said at that point. And I think a lid would really be neat on such a small piece too.