PDA

View Full Version : Original radial arm saw 18" cast iron?

keith ouellette
03-06-2011, 3:57 PM
I found one of these. The arm is all cast iron. it has a 3 phase convertor. I guess thats so it can run on regular 220. It can take up to an 18" blade but I think it only has a 14" on it now.

Looks like it was well taken care of. no signs of rust. The guy is asking $400 but I know he will take less.

The big problem is that it has a 1" arbor and i wanted to use it for dados. Can the dado blades be re bored at a machine shop to accommodate the 1" arbor?

And I also wonder what happens if the 3 phase convertor burns out? I think a new convertor would be more than the RAS is gonna cost.

it looks a lot like this one but does not say dewalt on it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OB76doF_gI

Any thoughts on all this?

Rick Lizek
03-06-2011, 4:52 PM
You can have a dado set bored for 1" and still use it on 5/8" arbors with bushings for other arbors. Bushings are press fit and can be removed and swapped over and over many times. About $5 each at any good saw sharpening shop.
You don't mention what kind of phase converter you have but it's a minor issue in my experience. Static converters are cheap and rotary ones are long lasting. You have other options such as a VFD. Just buy and and don't fret over it.
Sounds like a good deal at $400 and especially if it will take an 18" blade. If anyone says other wise be suspicious of their opinion. I've been dealing with bushed blades and phase conversion for 30 years and see a lot of completely wrong information on the subject in the forums. I've also had the arms reground for wear and any ither thing you can imagine to rebuild a radial arm saw. We have a 42" and 36" radial arm saw in our shop as well as several 14" and 18" saws...yes, a radial arm saw that takes a 42" blade!!!!

Larry Edgerton
03-06-2011, 5:49 PM
You don't have it home yet?

keith ouellette
03-06-2011, 6:03 PM
You can have a dado set bored for 1" and still use it on 5/8" arbors with bushings for other arbors. Bushings are press fit and can be removed and swapped over and over many times. About $5 each at any good saw sharpening shop.
You don't mention what kind of phase converter you have but it's a minor issue in my experience. Static converters are cheap and rotary ones are long lasting. You have other options such as a VFD. Just buy and and don't fret over it.
Sounds like a good deal at $400 and especially if it will take an 18" blade. We have a 42" and 36" radial arm saw in our shop as well as several 14" and 18" saws...yes, a radial arm saw that takes a 42" blade!!!!

You don't have it home yet?

First off: 42" blade! Dang! how tall is a machine like that?

And are you guys saying the original RAS is a good saw? I assumed it was pretty old at first because of all the cast iron but I have since noticed that Original has only been in business sinse 1990. Is that true?

John Toigo
03-06-2011, 6:47 PM
The Original Saw Company took over all or most of the old DeWalt patents. DeWalt dropped the RASs & went cordless around 1990 - can;t say exactly when. Original has done all the manufacturing & parts service since then. So, a DeWalt by any other name.......

Chip Lindley
03-06-2011, 8:16 PM
If it's an Original Saw Co machine, it's pretty new compared to older DeWalts. For $400 (or less) it would be hard to go wrong!

There is an ebay seller letting brand new Onsrud 10" dado set with 1" bore, go very reasonably! My 7.5hp Rockwell RAS never sees an 18" blade, but has a guard for one just in case. I have lots of 14" blades and a found smaller guard just for them.

Ole Anderson
03-07-2011, 12:46 AM
yes, a radial arm saw that takes a 42" blade

Not without a picture...

Rick Potter
03-07-2011, 3:16 AM
Stop playing with the computer and BUY IT. That is a VERY expensive saw.

Rick Potter

Larry Edgerton
03-07-2011, 7:18 AM
Keith, Did you buy it yet?

Whats the hold up?

A rotary converter is pretty much dependable like a rock, I run my whole shop off of one. Static converters are not quite in the rock catagory, but they will last a long time. Smaller converters are easy to come by used, and not that much new. Having one will allow you to pick up other 3 ph equipment.

He who hesitates does not have a cool old saw!

Andrew Joiner
03-07-2011, 11:06 AM
We have a 42" and 36" radial arm saw in our shop as well as several 14" and 18" saws...yes, a radial arm saw that takes a 42" blade!!!!

Wow, Rick what brand of radial arm can take a 36" or 42 " blade? Do you have pictures?

Scott T Smith
03-07-2011, 2:10 PM
Keith - $400.00 for an Original RAS is a steal - that's about a $3000+ machine.

I have one; it's also a 240V 3 phase, and it works great. Don't worry about the phase converter - they are built to last for ages.

You can buy 1" arbor dado sets; my 12" table saw uses a 1" arbor and I picked up a brand, new Freud 10" dado set (1" hole) on e-bay for about $135.00 last year.

The main thing that you need to be aware of is the angle on the cutters, as radial / miter saws use different tooth angles on the front of the cutter than table saws. It's not a good idea to use a dado set designed for a table saw on a RAS, as the blade can bite into the wood and launch at the operator. Much better to buy the correct set.

Rick Lizek
03-07-2011, 6:06 PM
Dewalt Timber cutting Radial Arm Saw

Cary Falk
03-07-2011, 6:33 PM
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

keith ouellette
03-07-2011, 8:01 PM

I'll say it again. Dang!

keith ouellette
03-07-2011, 8:04 PM
I may have missed out. I can not get a call back so...... I wasn't certain if I could make my dado blade work with it. I have wanted a good radial arm saw for a while now but I have limited funds so I have to be careful with what I buy because there are other tools I need also. I just don't want to make a mistake. It is still listed though so maybe the guy didn't have time to call me back yet.

Larry Edgerton
03-08-2011, 7:21 AM
I may have missed out. I can not get a call back so...... I wasn't certain if I could make my dado blade work with it. I have wanted a good radial arm saw for a while now but I have limited funds so I have to be careful with what I buy because there are other tools I need also. I just don't want to make a mistake. It is still listed though so maybe the guy didn't have time to call me back yet.

Look at it this way, if you do not like it you can easily double your money for your troubles. Chances are that you will like it. I understand about limited funds, things are just flat dead up here right now. Did you move? I thought you were farther North.

If you do pick it up let me know, I had a Dewalt 16" before I bought my OMGA 14" and have some blades around. What other tools do you need?

Andrew Joiner
03-08-2011, 12:24 PM

Thank you Rick. What a SAW!

keith ouellette
03-08-2011, 7:12 PM
I just closed a deal to purchase the original radial arm saw. I am paying $250 for it and am set to pick it up on thursday. It comes with one 18" (maybe 16") carbide blade.

Why did I get it so cheap? The power is shut off at the house it is stored at so I can only test it by bringing it home so no out of towners seem interested. If the arbor size didn't mean I would have to buy special blades for it (my dado blade) I would have gladly paid more but the dado blade I need will cost me about $300 so I have to save up for that.

I will post pictures on thursday after I bring it home and hook it up to see how it runs.

Scott T Smith
03-08-2011, 10:41 PM
I just closed a deal to purchase the original radial arm saw. I am paying $250 for it and am set to pick it up on thursday. It comes with one 18" (maybe 16") carbide blade.

Why did I get it so cheap? The power is shut off at the house it is stored at so I can only test it by bringing it home so no out of towners seem interested. If the arbor size didn't mean I would have to buy special blades for it (my dado blade) I would have gladly paid more but the dado blade I need will cost me about $300 so I have to save up for that.

I will post pictures on thursday after I bring it home and hook it up to see how it runs.

Keith - congratulations on a great score!