PDA

View Full Version : $200 for DeWalt MBF 9" RAS on CL - Is it worth it?

Cyrus Brewster 7
03-06-2011, 3:10 PM
I just received an email that this saw was still available. If it is in good condition, is it worth $200? I would love to have a decent RAS for dedicated crosscutting. Also, does anyone know if this will take 10" blades? If not, what about 7 1/2"?

Thanks.

Roy Fleming
03-06-2011, 6:52 PM
not a great buy but a great saw. It will not tale a 10" blade. but 9" or smaller is ok I would not pay more than 125 for it. I have 2 of them and love em.

John Toigo
03-06-2011, 6:53 PM
It's a great saw - one of DeWalt's smaller RASs. I have one in my shop but I use it for small crosscuts and a lot for dados & rabbets. You can see a manual here: http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=186

It's a common saw - I'd haggle a bit.

david brum
03-06-2011, 8:24 PM
I paid $75 for mine. I also wouldn't pay more than $125 unless it was pristine or came with cool accessories. They are excellent saws for sure. Just remember that the bearings and grease are over 50 years old, so you can pretty much count on overhauling the motor and disassembling the column to get it working properly. You'll also have to make a decent table. None of those are big deal things, but they do take some time.

Dave Cav
03-06-2011, 8:53 PM
Ditto what David Brum said. I have had several from free to $75. I wouldn't pay more than $100 or so as they seem to show up fairly regularly. Great saws, though.

Myk Rian
03-06-2011, 9:05 PM
$200 only if it has been completely restored.
Put an 8" blade on it.

Neil Brooks
03-06-2011, 9:16 PM
Agreed.

Looks like it's the one (from the CL ad):

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g399/jenmike2/100_0863.jpg

Price is very high. Saw is excellent.

Having a lot of fun with mine. Paid $100 - a very fair price.

Cyrus Brewster 7
03-06-2011, 11:25 PM
Thanks for the input guys. Being short on space, I think I will wait for the big brother to come along.

Will Rowland
03-07-2011, 9:49 AM
While on the topic of DeWalt MBFs, I had a major score a couple weeks ago in the parking lot of the Salvation Army. I had been putting off dropping off a ton of old clothes and such, but the missus finally ordered me to go one nice Saturday afternoon.

So, I pull up in the drop-off parking lot, and what do I see but the top of a DeWalt MBF sticking out of a guys truck! Pulse racing, I walk up for a closer look, and hear the Salvation Army guy tell the guy with the RAS that they don't take large power tools at that location. So, I chime in and say I'll take it. The guy says can't do it, it was his father's and they reallly wanted a charitable donation out of the deal. The Salvation Army guy tells him to just let me make a cash donation for what it is worth.

I had $20 in my pocket. I pull it out and expect the guy with the RAS to want more. Instead he says "I was only thinking $5, let me get you some change". Nevermind, says I, it will go to a good cause. So with that I loaded the saw up, hauled it home, and despite looking rough, it is complete and runs great with no slop in the rails. Like others, I'll park in the back of the shop for an eventual rebuild...