PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a Turntable in ther shop? Yes a record player

Matthew Curtis
03-06-2011, 12:31 PM
Anyone have a Turntable in ther shop? Yes a record player.
i just bought one at a rummage sale for $5 and thought it would a character to the shop.
I was wondering how to keep the dust out of it?

Myk Rian
03-06-2011, 1:17 PM
Put a cover over it.

Bruce Page
03-06-2011, 1:29 PM
What is a record player?

ray hampton
03-06-2011, 2:05 PM
do you have the recorders to play on it

Randy Alkins
03-06-2011, 4:01 PM
What speed?

Matthew Curtis
03-06-2011, 5:16 PM
yes, I have a few records. 45, 33

Don Whitten
03-06-2011, 5:17 PM
Vinyl is making a comeback.

Gene Waara
03-06-2011, 5:20 PM
Originally replaced my victrola with a record player but I am now going to upgrade to an eight track tape player. Tough choice spending my discrectionary funds on audio equipment or wood working tools. I also would like to buy a couple of new bits for my brace ............

Dan Hintz
03-06-2011, 5:24 PM
Vinyl is making a comeback.
As an automotive seat cover, maybe... ;)

Matt Meiser
03-06-2011, 5:49 PM
Heck, I don't even have a CD player in my shop anymore. I just open iTunes on the shop computer which is connected to the shop stereo. I suppose I could put a CD in the computer.

Myk Rian
03-06-2011, 6:08 PM
As an automotive seat cover, maybe... ;)
Don is right. Vinyl is making a comeback. I still have my Pioneer PL-71 TT.

Neil Brooks
03-06-2011, 8:12 PM
ALL my albums, and my old fully-auto, direct drive, quartz-locked Pioneer, with a Stanton cartridge, and Litz oxygen-free wires ..... are very NEAR TO my shop, in the same boxes they've been in since about 1996 ;)

One day.....

Kim Gibbens
03-06-2011, 11:33 PM
I have a small room on the back end of my 2 car garage/shop. My computer is in there hooked to the stereo that has a pair of speakers in the shop. I also have a couple of stereo systems set up in there. The speakers in the garage are fed from my Sansui AU 717, it also feeds a pair of Dynaco A25s in the computer room. I also have some 2A3 mono blocks running a set of Klipsch Chorus IIs in the computer room. And on top of my rack is my custom Lenco turntable, 5 feet away is storage to about 3000 lps, so I can have tunes at my finger tips at all times. I also have a reel to reel and a cassette player hooked into the Sansui. I also have several turntables stored in the garage. Vintage stereo gear is one of my other hobbies. If I get to build a shop, a turntable will be in there as well.

Kim

Chris Damm
03-07-2011, 8:33 AM
Yes I have one. It is in the box where I put it about 15 years ago and replaced it with the CD player that is in another box on top of it. I now just turn the computer on and log into jukebox.com or radio.com.

Doug Wolf
03-07-2011, 8:43 AM
I have one in my shop but I use it as a turntable for spray finishes.

Jason Roehl
03-07-2011, 9:29 AM
I would have one in my dream shop. It would have a long line on it, and stay in my boat. :D

BOB OLINGER
03-07-2011, 10:11 AM
Hey Matthew,

Yes, I do! Frankly, it's a combination player and AM/FM receiver. I only use the receiver, have for like 20+ yrs., just have a poly bag over it, reach up under to get to the controls. Purchased it at a garage sale.

Chip Lindley
03-07-2011, 10:51 AM
A woodworking shop is probably one of the WORST places to play vinyl records. I would never risk my '60s and '70s album collection, or my one and only surviving turntable in that environment. An iPod connected to a wireless FM transmitter is the best way to listen to my vast music collection in the shop. Just call me a seriously picky audiophile.

Troy Turner
03-07-2011, 2:16 PM
Don't have one..but I'm thinking if you wanted one and wanted to display it, why not build an acrylic box for it?

Eric DeSilva
03-07-2011, 5:02 PM
I've actually got pretty much exactly that--a large acrylic box--that covers up my VPI when not in use. It isn't in the shop tho'.

Jim Rimmer
03-07-2011, 8:27 PM
Best way to keep the dust out: Take it in the house

David Hostetler
03-08-2011, 9:37 AM
Vinyl records and sawdust are a BAD combination, keep that record player out of there...

Bruce Darrow
03-09-2011, 10:04 PM
If you are really missing the music on those old records, you can digitize into any one of several file formats - I chose mp3.

You need a good sound card in your computer (I have an Audigy), its accompanying software will handle the digital recording. You need to patch into the sound card from the sound source - if you come from your receiver, you can record anything that the receiver will put out - phono, tape, radio, etc.

Audacity software (free download) will then allow you to split any recording into segments - the most obvious being splitting a recording of sides A & B of a record into songs 1 thru 12, and naming each.

I've gone through my entire vinyl collection, have raided those of some friends, and have also gone through all my old RR tapes and cassettes. So long as the original program source is of good quality (some of my old tapes were decidedly not) you will end up with essentially equally good digital files that can then be played from a computer or iPod type device with far more convenience than flipping vinyl. You can skip those songs you never really liked, make compilations of any configuration you can think of, etc., etc.

The downside is that it's really time consuming.......but if you love your old music as much as I do, it's worth it in the long run.

Jon McElwain
03-10-2011, 4:18 PM
I have one in my shop but I use it as a turntable for spray finishes.

My first thought...

David Larsen
03-10-2011, 9:22 PM
Are you in the shop to build something or to listen to records? I can understand having a stereo of some sort for tunes, but messing with records seems distracting.

If you have favorite songs, record them and play the cd, tape, mp3 etc. and concentrate on your craft.

I sold all my records, but wouldn't want to bring them into the dust anyways.

Joe Federici
03-23-2011, 10:11 PM
I had one in my shop for a little wile but dust like everyone points out is the issue. I would say if your mostly working with hand tools you could get away with it. I have a Onkyo TX-2500 MKII. You've got to go Vintage solid state in the shop. ;-) I also needed to add a good antenna. Once I got one installed it's been great.