PDA

View Full Version : Comments on LT 3000 or other similar ones?

mreza Salav
03-06-2011, 12:27 PM
I know I know, another bandsaw thread, but I have specific models in mind:
I am going to get a bandsaw larger than my current 14" one this year. I have read many of the threads on this topic. I think I have narrowed it down to Laguna or Grizzly.

- It's for a hobby shop and mostly getting it for resawing.
- I think I am going to get a 18" or larger one.
- I would like to have larger than 12" resaw as well (don't need anything larger than 16" though).
- Also, I have a basement shop so it should be possible to get it down there (although it may be a big challenge).

Right now I am in Chicago (until early summer) before I move back to Canada.
I am thinking of getting Laguna LT18 3000 model. I have looked into their Italian made lines but cannot justify the extra expense given very little extra I get (a bit more resaw which I don't need). There is a used (but in good condition) LT18 within driving range of me for $2500 but I don't have a place to store it until summer to take it with me.
So, my question is, for a budget of about $2k or close to that which would be a good value? Other saws in consideration are Hammer N4400 and Grizzly 514x series.

More specifically, I'd like to hear from LT18 3000 owners. I know there are a few on here who have ordered it (based on older threads). Anything you don't like about it? any regrets? How does the saw perfrom?

TIA

mreza Salav
03-06-2011, 9:03 PM
Wow, not a single reply! People must be really fed up with bandsaw threads I guess.

James White
03-06-2011, 10:04 PM
This is what I would get with your budget. If I was looking for more resaw height. This is nearly 800 lbs of machine. More of an industrial duty machine with 16" of resaw. It tensions up to a 1 3/8" blade.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/17-5-HP-220V-Extreme-Series-Bandsaw-with-Brake/G0636XB

James

mreza Salav
03-07-2011, 10:59 AM
Thanks. I have looked at that model too. Its features seem close to that of LT-3000, but laguna has the advantage of guides and a Leeson motor.
Plus, I can get Laguna from a local woodworking store in Canada (with local service if something goes wrong).

I was really hoping some of the owners of LT 3000 would comment here.
Where is Van?!