PDA

View Full Version : Something new to me......

Ken Fitzgerald
03-06-2011, 12:10 PM
Yesterday while I was working on a crate to ship a project out and I stumbled across a small cardboard box from PSI. I opened it and "Uh oh!" I was in trouble.

My oldest son is a deputy sheriff and he throws some serious darts. His birthday was last week and he'd asked me to turn him some darts. The kits were in the box.

Quickly I cut, drilled and glued up the blanks.

Last night I turned them and finished. They aren't a real skill tasking project but what surprised me was that all 3 weighed out at exactly 10.5 grams. I was shocked they'd be that close.

Mike Davis NC
03-06-2011, 12:37 PM
First, my thanks to your son for serving the public.

Then, where are the pictures? I'd like to see some hand turned darts.

Steve Schlumpf
03-06-2011, 1:18 PM
First, my thanks to your son for serving the public.

Then, where are the pictures? I'd like to see some hand turned darts.

Exactly! Looking forward to seeing them!

Ken Glass
03-06-2011, 1:18 PM
Ken,
I also send thanks to your son for his service to your community and again, you know the drill about pictures. "Don't make me say it!" I am sure he will love the Darts and cud-dos to turning them all to such a close weight. Pics?

John Keeton
03-06-2011, 1:22 PM
You would think a moderator, with the seniority enjoyed by Ken, would be aware of the "rules" on pics!!!! Oh, wait, it was the "seniority" that was the problem - Ken is getting advanced in age and probably has forgotten the rules!!

We are patiently waiting, Ken!!!!!

David DeCristoforo
03-06-2011, 1:32 PM
Darts? I doan see no steenking darts!

Brian Effinger
03-06-2011, 1:46 PM
Yeah, what darts?!? :D I think we need a pic of each one on the scale, too.

ray hampton
03-06-2011, 1:57 PM
where is the pictures

Tim Thiebaut
03-06-2011, 2:25 PM
I have to agree with the above statements, you no better then to tease us without pictures!

Bill Bulloch
03-06-2011, 2:40 PM
You just good that's all.

Ron Stadler
03-06-2011, 3:39 PM
What they all said.

Mike Cruz
03-06-2011, 3:40 PM
No pics, no darts...you are still in trouble...maybe not with him, but with us!

Ken Fitzgerald
03-06-2011, 4:20 PM
You folks really are making a lot of noise over nothing.

His regular darts he thought weighed about 10 grams. I weighed one of them at 13.5 grams. I really didn't think I could get much lighter. He wanted darts that were lighter if possible.

I happened to have some pen blanks that were maple. I used just a simple flat cylinder shape to try to keep my turning skills from effecting the balance of the dart and to minimize weight.

What was interesting, I not only got them to weigh the same but I placed them on a cylinder laying on it's side to check the balance point. They all had the same balance point as close as I could measure it. This surprised me too.

charlie knighton
03-06-2011, 4:35 PM
nice darts, Ken, maybe this ages me, but where are the sharp brass/copper points?

Rick Markham
03-06-2011, 4:42 PM
Beautiful darts Ken! Great job on balancing, and matching the weights (even if it was a surprise to you). I'm sure he will love them, you will probably be making more for the rest of his deputy buddies soon (not a bad thing)

Charlie, most dart boards in bars etc, are electronic dart boards, which have holes in them and need darts with plastic tips. Its a rare thing to find a pub with a good cork board, a slate chalk board, and steel tip darts now,

Ken, does that kit come with optional screw on steel tips?

John Keeton
03-06-2011, 4:56 PM
Ken, those really made up into some classy looking darts!! My bet is he will be showing those off big time.

When his buddies want some made, you can make 'em all different weights!!!:D Kind of like a built in edge for the son!!;):rolleyes: Just kiddin!

I do bet you get requests for more of them, and you should. He needs a nice presentation case to put those in - can you find the table saw?? May have to move a bunch of stuff.

Mike Cruz
03-06-2011, 5:15 PM
Aaaaaah, NOW I see the darts! Those are great, Ken. Thanks for succumbing to our lust for visuals...

Steve Schlumpf
03-06-2011, 5:46 PM
Wow! That was worth the wait! Beautiful work Ken! Bet you son loves them! You done good!

Mark Hubl
03-06-2011, 5:57 PM
Nice darts. I bet they will be his favorites. Good job. This is another thing I will have to try.

ray hampton
03-06-2011, 6:20 PM
I agree , the main thing is the balance

Alan Zenreich
03-06-2011, 6:31 PM
I have a couple of dart kits waiting in a drawer. My son has yet to decide on the material I'll use.

The issue is not only weight, but balance.
The kit comes with some lead wool that can be positioned and glued into the tube to adjust the weighting.

I have no idea what the proper balance should be, as it might be a player's preference.
Some players might like a bulbous shape on the nose end, others a slender straight profile.

Also, the choice of wood might make a significant difference in the balance.
A dense wood like cocobolo could make it back-end heavy, and possibly in need of the wool for rebalancing.

So although it might be as simple as turning a couple of relatively straight slimline pen shape, or it could get very personalized.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-06-2011, 6:58 PM
Alan,

You are correct it's a combination of balance and weight. Luckily in my discussions with him he explained how when he teaches people new to the sport, the first thing he teaches is finding the balance point on the dart. The balance point on all 3 were about 1" from the front edge of the wooden body. I was just happy they all three turned out with identical weights and balance points.

This kit doesn't come with optional steel tip.

Dan Forman
03-06-2011, 8:49 PM
Nice job on the darts Ken, I'm sure they will be treasured.

Dan

Lee Koepke
03-06-2011, 8:55 PM
I think I will try some of those. I'd opt for the steel tip version as I have a horsehair board in the basement. The steel tip darts are generally heavier (20-21 grams) not sure how best to handle that, unless the kits are heavier.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-06-2011, 9:04 PM
Lee,

I am now going to make some darts for my oldest son's wife. She wants a dart that is around 18 grams. I am going to use a heavier wood to see how close I can get. If that doesn't work.

The threads on these are a standard thread for darts....2 sizes IIRC...A or B.....I am sure standard dart parts would screw in......say a steel point.

Jerry Rhoads
03-06-2011, 9:47 PM
Very nice looking darts Ken.
And with the weight and balance being so close, they should be popular for your son.
Thank God for people who become policemen and teachers, underpaid and under appreciated. I thank them all.

Jerry

Bernie Weishapl
03-06-2011, 9:50 PM
Ken those are nicely done. Tell your son thanks for his service.

Tony De Masi
03-07-2011, 6:49 AM
Nice job Ken even though they were LATE for his birithday.:D