PDA

View Full Version : Source for old tools new Lexington, KY

Todd Johnson250
03-06-2011, 12:05 PM
I'm new to Lexington, KY and trying to find some places to search for old hand tools. Although I've found a lot of listings for flea markets and antique shops, I can't find any information on whether any of them have vendors that focus on old tools. My first attempt to visit the Peddler's mall in Lexington revealed just a handful of hand tools--most not worth the asking price.

So does anyone know if there is a better, more consistent place to shop for old hand tools near Lexington? In particular, I'm looking for a rip saw and a fore plane that I can restore and use.

Todd

Kevin Lucas
03-06-2011, 12:37 PM
Todd,

I know here in Louisville they have a big flea market a lot at the fair grounds. It is usually odd junk but a few times a year they have an antique section to it, I've found some old tools there. Lexington probably has something along those lines. I hit a lot of yard sales / estate sales as well and have found saws usually like 10$ each. They are usually cross cuts though I did find a rip and they are usually Disston or Warranted Superiors. They usually just need a little cleaning and sharpening.

Casey Gooding
03-06-2011, 1:43 PM
Todd,
I'm pretty new here myself. The family and I moved to Lexington last Fall. I haven't found any really good sources for old tools, yet. I have run across a few in antique malls, but not a lot.
In the summer, they have the local portion of the Great American Yard Sale. I missed it last year, but it should be a good source. I believe it's usually in August.
Let me know if you find anything, though.

Steve Branam
03-06-2011, 6:04 PM
There's an antique store just off 75 south of you in Berea, west on 21 towards Paint Lick that has a few things. Not tons of stuff, but at least one dedicated tool dealer. I picked up my hand cranked grinder there this past summer.

Kevin Lucas
03-06-2011, 10:46 PM
Berea may be a good idea their college has old school neander woodworking ) Plus if you're into geology some nice geodes in the streams.

Martin Shupe
03-08-2011, 1:21 AM
Berea may be a good idea their college has old school neander woodworking ) Plus if you're into geology some nice geodes in the streams.

Sorry to hijack, but I have some geodes that need to be cut. Any ideas how to cut them?