PDA

View Full Version : 15ga finish nailer

Greg Urwiller
03-06-2011, 11:03 AM
Looking at 15ga finish nailers. Bostitch, Ridgid, Senco, all are around the $150 range. Any recommendations? Thanks. Greg

Craig Michael
03-06-2011, 11:23 AM
I have a hitachi, not the weird looking one but their traditional light blue/green color. Great nailer, never misfires, has the switch for single or bump fire, built in blower, etc. I've never hear anyone say anything bad about that nailer, it's bullet proof. Max is suppose to be good too, I've never used that one though.

I have the 2 version, the 4 looks the same.

http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-NT65MA2-4-Inch-2-Inch-Angled/dp/B0000EI97N/ref=sr_1_5?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1299428229&sr=1-5

http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-NT65MA4-Gauge-Finish-Nailer/dp/B003QTWNTS/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1299428229&sr=1-2

Greg Just
03-06-2011, 11:26 AM
I don't use my 15ga nailer too much, so I bought one at Northern Tool for about $100. Works for for what I need.

Von Bickley
03-06-2011, 11:49 AM
I vote for the Senco......

Jerome Stanek
03-06-2011, 12:01 PM
senco we use it all the time

Ken Fitzgerald
03-06-2011, 12:03 PM
I bought a Senco and it's been flawless.

lowell holmes
03-06-2011, 12:08 PM
Thirty years ago. Senco and Duo-fast were the gold standard in air nailers.

I have PC nailers.

If the price is the same, sentiment would guide me towards the Senco. Senco used to make nailers that didn't require lubricant.

Greg R Bradley
03-06-2011, 1:11 PM
If you want something that will work well and last, you need to look at brands AND specific models.

Senco in particular makes some great equipment and some garbage - completely shocking, horrible garbage. I have 5-15 year old Senco SLP20XP brad nailer, SKSXP 18ga stapler, and SNS41XP heavy construction stapler. They are all excellent but the newer tools are not as wonderful as the older ones. My new Senco PC1010 compressor is also excellent but I could have bought it in a kit with their FinishPro 18 ga brad nailer or 23ga pinner for just $25 more. I bought just the compressor because neither of those tools are worth $25. They belong at HF and I don't quite understand why Senco sells those items. As a general rule, any Senco nailer with a model number ending in "XP" is their pro line. Senco support, parts availability, etc. are first class.

Hitachi's silver blue line of tools seem to work well also. This is the series referred to in Craig Michael's post above. It is the new Hitachi line of green plastic "space age" looking stuff that seems to be the source of complaints on Hitachi. You can't go wrong with the silver blue Hitachi 15ga DA nailer found at Lowes & HD.

I didn't have a need for a 15ga DA nailer until recently. I bought the Bosch and it works quite well, although I haven't used it much yet.

Bostitch has a bad reputation for using non-standard nails. I am not sure but think that is still true on their 15ga finish nailer. If true, it would be just about the only "odd" one left that doesn't use "DA" nails. As a company, Stanley Black & Decker has a reputation that would make me less likely to choose one of their brands like Bostich.

Max was mentioned above and they are one of the very few that still make nailers as good as my 15 year old Senco bradder. I suppose some people could justify the cost. Their 18g bradder is $350 or so. Is their 15ga less?

Greg Urwiller
03-06-2011, 2:42 PM
I inquired a while back about putting up 3/4" woodwork, and most people felt that I should use a 15ga finish nailer for this. I've got an OLD Campbell Hausfeld 16ga, so this is why I'm looking. In my area, all I've really looked at is HD and Menards. These are the 3 main choices available, that's why I was name dropping those 3. I don't remember seeing the Hitachi a HD tho. I was kind of leaning towards the Senco. Greg

Craig Michael
03-06-2011, 2:53 PM
I'm not sure if Bostitch has a nailer that uses DA style (all the others I think use DA, I know PC, Senco, hitachi, etc all use those), the Bostitch I always saw used their nails, I think FN style. They are harder to find most of the time since all the others use DA. Everyone has DA nails.

Over on JLC all the carpenters and builders use hitachi, some use the max. Like you said, Senco isn't what it used to be. They really lost a lot of support over the years, the quality just isn't what it was years ago.

One note. Most know about the cheapening of porter cable but if not, stay away from pc. Their old flat grey ones were ok, brad nailer was excellent. But B&D converted them into their DIY line so just avoid them all together.

Zach Callum
03-06-2011, 5:16 PM
I have a hitachi, not the weird looking one but their traditional light blue/green color. Great nailer, never misfires, has the switch for single or bump fire, built in blower, etc. I've never hear anyone say anything bad about that nailer, it's bullet proof. Max is suppose to be good too, I've never used that one though.

I had that same Hitachi nailer when doing trim work. It was in regular use for five years, and never a problem. I would certainly buy another if I ever need to.

Matt Meiser
03-06-2011, 5:57 PM
I don't use one much either so I bought a not-too-used-looking PC on Ebay from a seller with good feeback.

Russell Smallwood
03-06-2011, 7:56 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-NT65MA2-4-Inch-2-Inch-Angled/dp/B0000EI97N/ref=sr_1_5?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1299428229&sr=1-5

http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-NT65MA4-Gauge-Finish-Nailer/dp/B003QTWNTS/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1299428229&sr=1-2

+1 on the NT65MA2. My favorite nailer hands down.

I also have their round head framing nailer which I also really like.

Craig Michael
03-06-2011, 8:37 PM
I inquired a while back about putting up 3/4" woodwork, and most people felt that I should use a 15ga finish nailer for this. I've got an OLD Campbell Hausfeld 16ga, so this is why I'm looking. In my area, all I've really looked at is HD and Menards. These are the 3 main choices available, that's why I was name dropping those 3. I don't remember seeing the Hitachi a HD tho. I was kind of leaning towards the Senco. Greg

Paint grade trim I use mostly a 15ga and for some small things I'll use a 18ga brad nailer. When you get into stain grade then some might want a 23ga pin nailer.

For smaller tools, unless I need it NOW I usually use amazon since the selection and price is usually the best. The blower gun feature on the hitachi is great for clearing dust for trimming a house. Do a search over at the JLC forum for 15 ga finish nailers, some good discussions over the years. They always like hitachi, a few bostitch, dewalt gets bad reviews, old senco's good reviews, new senco's mostly bad reviews, etc.

here are a few threads over there on finish nailers.

http://forums.jlconline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52025&highlight=15ga+finish+nailer

http://forums.jlconline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48727&highlight=15ga+finish+nailer

http://forums.jlconline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48424&highlight=15ga+finish+nailer

Don Whitten
03-06-2011, 8:43 PM
I have Senco and PC nailers and have never had a problem with either of those two MFG's nail guns so I would recommend both as for the others I can not comment as I've no experence with anyother MFG's guns.