PDA

View Full Version : Buying a new plainer adv.

Steve R Baker
03-06-2011, 10:22 AM
I am wanting to buy a new plainer. I am looking at DeWalt dw734 & dw735. Is the 735 worth the extra $$$? I hope to buy a drum sander later. Also where is a good place to buy from? I am retired and a hobby woodworker and turner. THANKS for your HELP.
PS I have read a lor of reviews on both and still confused

glenn bradley
03-06-2011, 10:48 AM
I don't know that the confusion will end here ;-) I have the DW734 and have run it for years. Dad has the DW735 but uses it less than I use mine. They are both 3 knife machines but the 735 adds a lower "finishing" speed and had a built in dust collection 'assist' that leaves dad's unit virtually chip-free when hooked to his 2HP DC.

As to whether the 735 is worth the extra money, that is up to you. When the 735 hit $450, I though it had out-priced its market position but, it continues to increase in price. I paid around $300 for the 734 back when I bought it (everything else was cheaper too, don't get me wrong) and have gotten my money's worth and more. I still use the 734 even though I now have a 15" floor machine with a spiral head. Either machine should serve you well.

Bryan Cramer
03-08-2011, 10:19 PM
I have the DeWalt DW743 and love it. It was a huge upgrade from a Ryobi. I got it on sale for $350. Can't beat that.