PDA

View Full Version : First lidded bowl

Bob Rotche
03-06-2011, 9:24 AM
Wanted to try working with lids and knobs or finials. Seem to give lots of opportunity for individualization. This piece is ambrosia maple with walnut lid and african blackwood knob. Bowl is 6" in diameter and 3" tall. Lid adds another 2 1/4". Finished with danish oil and beall buffed. C+C appreciated.

Jim Burr
03-06-2011, 9:28 AM
That's very nice Rob! I'd thin out the nob a little but that's about it. Cheers!!

charlie knighton
03-06-2011, 9:29 AM
very nice.....

Bernie Weishapl
03-06-2011, 11:04 AM
Really a nice piece. I would thin down the finial a little but other than that nice wood, form and finish.

Greg Just
03-06-2011, 11:11 AM
Really nice ambrosia maple - like others have said, I would make the finial a little smaller. Nice job.

Bill Bolen
03-06-2011, 11:13 AM
Very nice! I like the detail on the inside of the lid too. Makes for a nice surprise when reaching for a cookie...Bill..

bob svoboda
03-06-2011, 11:34 AM
Looks nice. Agree with the others re knob-thinner and shorter would work better for my eye. Keep 'em coming.

Ron Stadler
03-06-2011, 12:12 PM
I really like the shape of the knob and love the way it come through the bottom, nice touch. But I also agree with the others that it could be a bit smaller for this size of bowl.

Steve Schlumpf
03-06-2011, 5:51 PM
Bob - very nice work on this! I really like the way you fit the lid to the form by recessing the edge and continuing the curve! Also like the decoration on the bottom of the lid - including having the knob show. Finials and knobs are all a matter of personal preference - and in this case - I would keep the knob as is! This looks to be a functional lidded bowl and as such should have a knob that can take handling.

Nice work! Looking forward to seeing what you turn next!

Mark Hubl
03-06-2011, 6:01 PM
Congrats on the first lidded box. I like the knob and the detail under the lid. Good job.

Donny Lawson
03-06-2011, 6:03 PM
Nice design and shape. The only thing I would do is take a small nail or something and remove the white sanding residue from the worm holes. My last bowl had that in there and my wife caught that right off the bat. It's an easy fix but other than that it looks great.