PDA

View Full Version : More Minis - Mesquite

Kathy Marshall
03-06-2011, 12:40 AM
These really are fun to turn, and are fast becoming addicting!

Had a little time on my hands, so I started going through my cut off pile. Found a slab of mesquite that I had set aside to use for pen blanks. Cut out a 2 x 2 strip and went to work on it. Finished with friction polish.

Makes me wonder why I've never used mesquite for finials, hard wood, stable, tight grain, nice color and sands and finished great. Something to keep in mind the next time I need a finial.
185388 185389

John Keeton
03-06-2011, 6:58 AM
Kathy, those are really nice - particularly the goblet! You have achieved good form in such a small item - excellent work!

I have turned a couple of pieces of mesquite, and it does turn well. Since most finials are either dark or light, I wonder if mesquite takes dye well. If so, it should make a good choice for finial work. Of course, in the right piece, the natural color would do very well. I like to see contrast with the finial, and with a color that is aesthetically pleasing. Perhaps maple and mesquite??

charlie knighton
03-06-2011, 9:33 AM
i love mesquite, thanks for sharing

Bernie Weishapl
03-06-2011, 11:02 AM
Those are extremely nice Kathy. I love turning mesquite.

Don Nicholas
03-06-2011, 11:06 AM
Very nice work, very well done

Michael James
03-06-2011, 11:23 AM
You go girl! You have that passion for turning that will rocket you into the "way beyond". I have seen it in every creative endeavor. Don't forget fundamentals of life on earth like food and sleep! :cool:

Tim Thiebaut
03-06-2011, 11:38 AM
Holy smokes those are tiny...do you have special tools that you use Kathy? You did a very nice job on these.

Ron Stadler
03-06-2011, 12:07 PM
Cool, I really like the platter on this one.

Rick Markham
03-06-2011, 5:08 PM
Very nice Cathy, you've even gotten the wall thickness down (in short order too.) You know there are a few folks that sell miniatures like yours for doll houses! There's a market for them, profit margin is HUGE compared to the piece. (sorry I couldn't resist the punny)

Steve Schlumpf
03-06-2011, 5:40 PM
All look nice - especially the goblet! You have to find a way to sign your work! Now that would really grab some attention!

Have fun!

Kathy Marshall
03-06-2011, 6:03 PM
Kathy, those are really nice - particularly the goblet! You have achieved good form in such a small item - excellent work!

Thank you John!

i love mesquite, thanks for sharing
Me too! Hopefully I'll have another big Mesquite gloat soon!

Those are extremely nice Kathy. I love turning mesquite.
Thank you Bernie!

Very nice work, very well done
Thank you Don!

You go girl! You have that passion for turning that will rocket you into the "way beyond". I have seen it in every creative endeavor. Don't forget fundamentals of life on earth like food and sleep! :cool:
Thank you Michael! I don't think it would hurt me to miss a few meals lol, but sleep does come in handy!

Holy smokes those are tiny...do you have special tools that you use Kathy? You did a very nice job on these.
Thank you Tim! I used my 3/8" fingernail grind spindle gouge and my 1/4" spindle gouge and my skew to get a clean bottom when I turn the piece off.
This is great practice for tool control and a light touch.

Cool, I really like the platter on this one.
Thanks Ron! Of all the platters I've done, I think this one may be the best lol

Very nice Cathy, you've even gotten the wall thickness down (in short order too.) You know there are a few folks that sell miniatures like yours for doll houses! There's a market for them, profit margin is HUGE compared to the piece. (sorry I couldn't resist the punny)
Thanks Rick! Maybe more minis will be able to fund the "I want a coring system" account! lol

All look nice - especially the goblet! You have to find a way to sign your work! Now that would really grab some attention!

Have fun!
Thanks Steve! Now I'm going to have to try to at least burn my initials in! Probably end up burning them into my fingers instead!

Here's 3 from today. I actually measured the goblet. It's .66" tall and the stem is .066" diameter.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/misc/pencil.png

Michael Short
03-06-2011, 9:33 PM
Nice work Kathy.