PDA

View Full Version : Arrrgh! I'm ready for Spring!

Carole Valentine
01-22-2005, 9:34 PM
First 13" of snow in Dec. Then 70 deg temps. Then single digit cold. Then a "killer dusting" of snow that instantly turned to ice. Now an ice storm on top of slush. Ugh. Hope we don't lose power. Ventured into the shop to get a screwdriver today and a Windex bottle full of water that was sitting in the middle of my bench is a solid block of ice.:(

Alan Turner
01-23-2005, 4:19 AM
Carole,
We have a ton o freg. snow, and UGH is the right grunt.

"a Windex bottle full of water that was sitting in the middle of my bench is a solid block of ice."

Finally, score one for the basement shop. (:
Alan

Keith Outten
01-23-2005, 5:26 AM
Carole,

I'm just across the Bay from you at the mouth of the York River and our weather has been the same. Yesterday the heat pump in my workshop died so I'm using two electric space heaters. Tonight's low expected at 14 degrees may be more than my little space heaters can handle so I think it may be prudent to cut off the water supply rather than have to deal with broken pipes and wet equipment since my shop plumbing is upstairs.

I've been working right through the weekend on a rather large sign project and although the winter weather hasn't been a problem during fabrication it will prevent me from installing Sunday afternoon....Aarrrg!

I'm ready for Spring and more than willing to forgo the remaining Winter season :(

Alan,

There are no basements here in my area, we are at sea level so basements = swimming pools. On the positive side we should return to highs in the 50's by mid week here in Eastern Virginia.

David Fried
01-23-2005, 8:58 AM
Lots of snow in Connecticut and still snowing. Yesterday I ventured out to the mailbox and found my order from Arizona Silhouette had arrived! That will make being snowed in much better!

I need to move some wood from the car to the garage and then the plastic goes up over the door. Maybe then my little propane heater will be able to heat the place easier.

My furnace kicked off on Thursday due to thick oil. I wrapped the outside oil line with a electric pipe heater and put diesel additive in the oil and the heat is back on but not before the hot water line burst in the garage and under the mud room floor. Got the pipes fixed but still have 3' x 5' of flooring ripped up. Yet another project!

I didn't want to take the truck out in this weather so I bought a sheet of plywood and had it cut into small enough pieces that it would fit into my Honda! The 3' x 5' patch is two pieces that meet right on a joist. I had some of the scrap cut so I finally have a shelf under the lathe. Nice.

Spent most of yesterday running kids around to and from birthday parties. They seem wholely unaffected by the storm.

Jack Hogoboom
01-23-2005, 9:02 AM
I'm in Northern NJ. 12" or so of snow, bitterly cold and wind howling. I feel like I moved next door to Tyler and John.

LOML is supposed to go to Phoenix today for a week. I'm supposed to have the house to myself for a week!!! :D Not sure she'll get out of town though. :( I was looking forward to watching the games in peace....

Jack

Steve Ash
01-23-2005, 9:56 AM
Here in South Central Michigan I woke up to sunny skies and the wind stopped blowing.....-10 degrees and 8-10 inches of snow on the level.

Mark Singer
01-23-2005, 9:57 AM
I haven't seen a bit of snow....rain yes! ....and rain...and rain...and yes...rain

Lou Morrissette
01-23-2005, 10:07 AM
24" here with wind gusts to 45mph so far. Snowing at the rate of 2"-4" per hour. Predictions are for total accumalations of 36" with winds gusting to 70mph this afternoon. Welcome to sunny Cape Cod!:D

Lou

Carole Valentine
01-23-2005, 11:54 AM
You guys get any ice over there, Keith? We did, then the wind came up and the power went out at 5AM but came back after 8. Heat sure doesn't stay in a house long with 40 mph winds and 18 degree temps! Time to look for some sort of whole house generator for my elderly Mother, I suppose. The old and infirm can't take many hours without heat. :(

Keith Outten
01-23-2005, 1:55 PM
Carole,

Yep, we got plenty of ice, wind and cold but we have been lucky since we haven't lost our electricity yet (fingers crossed and knocking on wood). My shop is down to about 58 degrees and dropping so later today I will make the trip to Lowes and buy another small heater. When my ship comes in I will also be shopping for a very large generator that is capable of providing enough power for the house. It seems that we lose power more often than we used to and I think it will get much worse before it gets better.

Everyone try to stay warm and those who can make chips work safely!

Steven Wilson
01-23-2005, 9:41 PM
Well, when the bottle of Windex in the shop is frozen I guess it's time to go out ice fishing.