PDA

View Full Version : Hand crank grinder

Mark Baldwin III
03-05-2011, 10:38 PM
Today's trip to the antique store yielded a hand crank grinder. I've been interested in one since getting Finck's book. When I picked it up, it appeared to have a bent shaft, but I bought it anyway. It turned out to be a mis-sized wheel, the shaft is perfectly straight. For under 25 dollars, I think I'm alright. It needs a little lube and a touch of TLC...and a new wheel, of course.

john davey
03-06-2011, 8:11 AM
Nice Mark. I have been searching for one myself. Now that Schwarz wrote about these on his blog I guess they will cost double so you did good :)

Mark Baldwin III
03-06-2011, 8:35 AM
John, I was half tempted to try and build one. I even spent some time looking through gears and such to get an idea of what it take to build one. It definitely would have cost more to go that route. I would like to repaint it, but the logo is painted on and I don't want to destroy it. The only thing I'm going to do besides the clean up is to add thrust washers. There is some steel on steel movement, and I'm not too keen on that.

john davey
03-06-2011, 9:16 AM
Well, lucky me and thanks to you for making me look. For kicks after I replied to your post I checked Fleabay again. Someone just put one out there for $9.99 buy it now. So with shipping I have one for 22bucks. Not really celebrating yet because we all know it could be crap coming from there. I am in the process of building a sharpening station and this will hook to the end of that nicely. I am thinking a Norton 3X for it but have not nailed down the grit yet.

As far as building goes I looked into a motor option with some sheaves to slow down a belt driven buffer/grinder I have. By the time I had it all figured out it would have taken to much room and weighed allot. This option works better for me.

By the way how do you like the inset vise I see in the pic?

Mark Baldwin III
03-06-2011, 9:44 AM
By the way how do you like the inset vise I see in the pic?

I like it. It's about to be put through the paces as I get started on my dad's bed. I admit that I had to borrow a router to install it...I tried going neander on that, but that was a lot of wood to remove. I have an LV face vise coming right now, should be here on Tuesday. Next after that is more dog holes and a surface vise.

Looks like the seller you got your grinder from hadn't seen the Schwarz article yet ;)

Bob Stroupe
03-10-2011, 10:51 PM
What kind of gear reduction do hand cranked grinders use?
Thanks.

Mark Baldwin III
03-11-2011, 6:47 AM
I doubt there is any standard ratio. The gear ratio on mine is 11.27:1. 11 teeth on the pinion and 124 on the spur.