PDA

View Full Version : No. 30 -Bradford Pear NE wCherry Accent

James Combs
03-05-2011, 10:35 PM
I turned this for A Community Service Project"RETURNED TO RAVEN RUN" for the Bluegrass Area Woodturners.

It is Bradford pear and has a Chery foot (OKA a funnel plug:D) I was turning the bottom tenon off when...ooopps the tenon broke through the bottom and off.:mad: I didn't have time to turn another so I added the Cherry foot.

BTW No 29 is still in process in case anyone is counting:).

Stats

Material = Bradford Pear
Diameter = 8" at it's widest point
Height = about 5" (forgot to measure)
Finish = 3 coats of WOP

185373 185374
185375 185377
185378 185379

Tom Caldwell
03-05-2011, 11:14 PM
Nice save!

Bernie Weishapl
03-05-2011, 11:18 PM
Good looking NE and a nice save James.

Richard Madden
03-05-2011, 11:51 PM
Hmmm, I have a couple of bowls around here that could use that fix. Nice save.

Steve Schlumpf
03-06-2011, 12:11 AM
All things considered - the woods compliment each other quite well and it looks like a planned design! Nice work!

John Keeton
03-06-2011, 6:40 AM
JD, this one looks even better in person! Very nice work on the bowl and the save.

Tony De Masi
03-06-2011, 7:02 AM
Nice work and nice save JD.

Lee Koepke
03-06-2011, 8:58 AM
Looks real good, I like the Cherry Foot. The idea behind 'saves' is to make it look planned, this piece excels at that!

Question: did you turn that once ... to finished thickness?

Marc Himes
03-06-2011, 9:05 AM
Been there, done that. It is always frustrating to go through the bottom, but your final result works very well and may be more interesting than the originally planned piece. Maybe we should be planning more of these if they turn out this well.

Marc Himes

Jim Burr
03-06-2011, 9:19 AM
Nice save JD, thats a cool litle flair at the top. Very well done sir.

Greg Just
03-06-2011, 10:04 AM
looks like it was planned to have a foot like that. Nice save.

Ron Stadler
03-06-2011, 12:14 PM
Well Id'e say you nailed this one, looks great and the form is bout perfect for my eyes and understanding of natural edge bowls.

Roger Chandler
03-06-2011, 1:15 PM
Very nice bowl, JD!

James Combs
03-06-2011, 3:24 PM
Thanks everyone for all the positive comments:cool: (and any negative ones as well... but of course I didn't read any of those).:D

Looks real good, I like the Cherry Foot. The idea behind 'saves' is to make it look planned, this piece excels at that!

Question: did you turn that once ... to finished thickness?

Yes I did although I thought it was still a little green but could not tell it turning it. I left it at finished thickness on the lathe overnight and it didn't move or crack so I went ahead and finished it then proceeded ot break the bottom out.:o By the time I got it over the the club it had been finish turned about 3 days and still no movement or cracks so it must have been dryer then I thought.

Lee Koepke
03-06-2011, 7:40 PM
Thanks everyone for all the positive comments:cool: (and any negative ones as well... but of course I didn't read any of those).:D

Yes I did although I thought it was still a little green but could not tell it turning it. I left it at finished thickness on the lathe overnight and it didn't move or crack so I went ahead and finished it then proceeded ot break the bottom out.:o By the time I got it over the the club it had been finish turned about 3 days and still no movement or cracks so it must have been dryer then I thought.thanks for the info .... I just turned some of my bradford pear I got on Friday ... it was W.E.T. , water on the glasses, and running down the juice groove on my bowl gouge wet !!! I turned it to a little over 1/4" and its in DNA tonite, so we'll see. I dont mind warping, just like to avoid a crack ....

BTW, it also gave my my first launch + bloody knuckle .. its still black/blue and swollen !!!! (and I lost most of the bark)

Faust M. Ruggiero
03-06-2011, 7:47 PM
Jimmy,
I read your saga (nice save) about turning through the bottom of your NE bowl. As I looked, I was trying to figure out what the black marks were on the bowl bottom prior to the save. I just found out. I was taking the tenon off a thin calabash I made and dried. It was (Note I said "was") a beauty. As I made the last cleanup cut after removing the tenon, the dead center poked a hole through the bottom, the bowl dropped and whacked the tool rest, a black Robust rest, and made the same marks you show in your picture. It was my first funnel and I am sure not my last. Mine is not a candidate for a fix.
faust

James Combs
03-06-2011, 10:26 PM
Jimmy,
I read your saga (nice save) about turning through the bottom of your NE bowl. As I looked, I was trying to figure out what the black marks were on the bowl bottom prior to the save. I just found out. I was taking the tenon off a thin calabash I made and dried. It was (Note I said "was") a beauty. As I made the last cleanup cut after removing the tenon, the dead center poked a hole through the bottom, the bowl dropped and whacked the tool rest, a black Robust rest, and made the same marks you show in your picture. It was my first funnel and I am sure not my last. Mine is not a candidate for a fix.
faust

You nailed it.;) They say that imitation is the highest form of flattery but really you didn't have to go that far.:D:rolleyes::)

Thomas Canfield
03-06-2011, 10:52 PM
James,

Good save. I have a NE Bradford Pear that looks similar, except it has a Mesquite foot. It was my first (well almost) funnel and a challenge to get a hole cut for a plug. My wife like the combination look