PDA

View Full Version : 1953 Unisaw rehab done.

Bart Leetch
01-22-2005, 8:38 PM
Well the saw is now at home in my shop actually it took the shop over. :eek: :D

I brought the saw into the shop last night about 7:30, just the main part of the saw. I managed to do a little paint touch up & cut the DC hole & square the table top to the blade & set it in the raised base & install the fence rails by 11 PM. Today I installed the extension tables & adjusted the fence & install the measuring tape.

We built a riser base to bring the Unisaw up to the height of my bench which sets behind the saw.

I still need to make the mobile base, which will replace the riser base..

I haven't cut much with it yet just a little scrap but I can say there is a big difference between the Unisaw & the Craftsman contractor-saw.

Give me 40 acres & I'll turn this saw around.........

The Wood magazine is from November of 2004 & has the router fence I want to build for my router table.

I had to take back the little green end table it use to be in the shop & the LOML had it in the apartment. I needed somewhere to put the items I had in the cabinet base I had under the contractors saw.

Now I get to make a kitchen baking center for the LOML.

Then I'll make a cabinet to go under the Unisaw extension table.

Christopher Pine
01-22-2005, 8:40 PM
Looks Great! I so much want to do this very same thing.. I have been keeping eye out for an older saw! Maybe someday! Nice job!
Happy cutting!

Chris

Steve Clardy
01-22-2005, 9:30 PM
Looks great Bart. I'd be proud!!!. Super job.

Terry Hatfield
01-22-2005, 9:45 PM
Bart,

You did an excellent job!!! I bet the saw will serve you well for a long, long time.

t

David LaRue
01-22-2005, 11:05 PM
Looks great Bart. Paint job turned out excellent.

David

Ted Shrader
01-22-2005, 11:22 PM
Bart -

That saw looks right at home there. Well done!

Ted

John Miliunas
01-22-2005, 11:35 PM
Great job on the resto, Bart! I'll bet you'll be able to get even more enjoyment off it, compared to a brand new "store bought" unit! Turned out great!:cool:

Norman Hitt
01-23-2005, 1:57 AM
Looks Great Bart, 'course, now you're gonna have to build a new "Temporary" shed just outside the shop door to house the "Newly Dedicated' Craftsman Dado Machine. Aaaaah, but the projects never end. Ain't it fun???

Bart Leetch
01-23-2005, 2:40 AM
Thanks for the nice comments guys.

Norman I already have someone who may buy the Craftsman saw. :)

Norman Hitt
01-23-2005, 3:33 AM
Thanks for the nice comments guys.

Norman I already have someone who may buy the Craftsman saw. :)

SSELL a TOOL..........Unheard of, but that's a sneaky way to get out of a building project. Ha!

Good luck and I hope you get it done, and I know you're gonna really enjoy that UNI, 'cause there's just no comparison between it and the old one, even as nice as you had it fixed up. Are you going to have to cut slots in your table for the mitre guage and/or cutoff sled?

Keith Cope
01-23-2005, 8:06 AM
Bart,

Looks great, enjoy it!

Bart Leetch
01-23-2005, 10:33 AM
" Are you going to have to cut slots in your table for the mitre gage and/or cutoff sled?"

Hi Norman

No I won't need to cut slots. I set the saw up like the last saw so that the bottom of the miter slots are above the hight of the bench top. If I'll be ripping something heavy or a lot of material through the saw I put a piece of sheet good on the bench top to make up the difference in height.

Frank Pellow
01-23-2005, 11:03 AM
It certainly did take the shp over, didn't it. Nice job! I have enjoyed your progress reports, Bart.

Kelly C. Hanna
01-23-2005, 12:27 PM
Very nice Bart....looks right at home in the shop!