PDA

View Full Version : Just got home with my first Lathe and tools!!!

bob blakeborough
03-05-2011, 8:39 PM
Hey everyone,

Just introducing myself to the woodturning section... I have taken up woodworking over the last year working mostly with hand tools and really enjoying myself. After hearing about guys turning their own chisel handles etc, I thought the idea was really cool so I began lurking around the woodturning section a bit and I gotta I quickly got drawn into the amazing things you guys create! Turns out one of my good customers is a well respected woodturning teacher at one of our local woodworking stores and after talking in depth with him on the subject, I bit the bullet and went in today to buy my first lathe, chuck and tools and signed up for 6 weeks of lessons! :)

I can't explain how excited I am!!!

Well as I had zero tools for turning, and no experience whatsoever to help me in deciding how to best spend my money, With tons of questions and explainations, I took the advice of my woodturner client who has decades of experience. I had a total budget to start of about $1000.00... I had to make that get me everything I need to get turning properly and safely and then would expand from there as needed. He laid the pros and cons out of approaching it from two different angles. Spending more money on a lathe with a few more options now and a bit less on tools, or spending a bit less on a machine up front but more on better tools. After much thinking, I decided to actually go less on the machine and more on the tools, with the rationale being that if it is something I am going to stick with (which is my expectation), I will eventually end up upgrading later anyways beyond either option I can currently afford, but the better tools that I buy now will be good forever...

Assessing my total budget, I ended up with an entry level King Canada 10x16 Mega-Lathe, Talon Chuck & Adaptor, and 6 individual Crown chisels and the 6 weeks of lessons....

http://www.kingcanada.com/Products.htm?CD=29&ID=2385

Anyways, I am looking forward to this new aspect of woodworking and hope you will all see me contributing here often!

Nate Davey
03-05-2011, 8:58 PM
Welcome to the Vortex. Sounds like you off to a good start and you have done it the best way, by finding a mentor. Another way to get a little extra money for buying woodturning tools is to sell you old flat work equipment, you probably won't be needing it much anymore :) As you noted, there are some incredibly talented turners here, I'm not one of them, who go out of their way to help you out if you ask for it. Enjoy the fall, you'll surpass terminal velocity.

Lee Koepke
03-05-2011, 9:04 PM
Well Bob .. your in trouble now !!!!

Sounds like you got some good advice and a good gameplan. Turning is fun .... you will enjoy it I promise! Looking forward to seeing your work.

charlie knighton
03-05-2011, 9:17 PM
Welcome Bob, we look forward to watch your progress

Michael James
03-05-2011, 10:09 PM
Save the table saw, it makes a great bench for your lathe accessories! As you know, this rabbit hole runs deep....... :cool:
Welcome to spinnyworld!

John Keeton
03-05-2011, 10:10 PM
Bob, welcome to the round side!! Great folks here, so just yell if you have questions - someone will chime in with an answer. Good choices you made, too, and we look forward to seeing the creations.

Baxter Smith
03-05-2011, 10:15 PM
Welcome to turning. Sounds like you have made some good choices with both tools and a teacher.

Steve Vaughan
03-05-2011, 10:49 PM
Just so ya know, there is no light at the end of this tunnel! It goes on and on and on and on... Welcome aboard! Sounds like you got quite the deal - the tools and the teacher, all wrapped up in one fell swoop!

Bob Bergstrom
03-05-2011, 10:54 PM
Sounds about right. Start out with $1000 to turn a few tool handles. Wait till you see how much bowls and hollow forms will set you back. Then it is on to bigger is better and things. It really get interesting. Glad to have you aboard and join in on the fun of spending your kids inheritance.:D:D

Steve Campbell
03-05-2011, 10:57 PM
Bob I started turning on that same lathe, only branded under the "General" brand name. It is a great little lathe. I have turned many small bowels on it. I bought a new Delta Maxi but still have my little General around. Just can't seem to part with it for some reason. You will enjoy it.

Steve

Bernie Weishapl
03-05-2011, 11:12 PM
Welcome to the spinney side of things.

Jim Burr
03-05-2011, 11:16 PM
Welcome Bob and get used to being dizzy from spinning!! Many good turners from your neck of the woods. Hope to see lot's of your work!

Tim Thiebaut
03-05-2011, 11:58 PM
Welcome! I started out investing about $1000 last December to get started myself....and very month since that time it is a little more here and there...it just dosnt stop. Have fun and enjoy yourself, thats what it is all about...

Steve Schlumpf
03-06-2011, 12:09 AM
Bob - Welcome to this side of the Creek! Sounds like you have a game plan! Looking forward to seeing some of your work real soon! Have fun and remember - if you have questions - we just might be able to help!

Ken Fitzgerald
03-06-2011, 12:21 AM
Bob.......normally I advise a new prospective turner to take a photo of the money in his wallet.....get a good 8x10 print and frame it and mount it on the wall above his lathe so he can remember what money looks like....

In your case it's too late!:rolleyes::D

Enjoy! Turning is the closest thing to instant gratification in the woodworking world IMHO.

I hope you bought or have sharpening supplies as dull tools make turning a chore!

Again......Enjoy!

Chip Sutherland
03-06-2011, 12:54 AM
Hey newbie. Welcome to the vortex. You are definitely one of the smarter newbies because you've got 6 weeks of lessons. Very wise investment. I took turning lessons 8 years ago but didn't buy a lathe or turn for another 3 years.

This is probably the best forum of the 5 that I visit for you to be hooked into. There are always folks online and the moderators are encouraging and supportive. If you've got a local turning club...join them.

Post your work...the successes and the failures.

bob blakeborough
03-06-2011, 1:01 AM
Wow! Thanks for all the positive responses everyone! I know that the neanderthals have all been very welcoming, but it is very nice to see that the turning forum is just as friendly and everyone else of these woodworking forums! I look forward to learning from all of you, positive or negative feedback... It all goes towards improving and learning the craft!

Billy Tallant
03-06-2011, 3:41 AM
Welcome to the world of turning. You thought you would start out with $1000. You will find out you will be standing in the wood store every chance you get buying something else for your new hobby. But it is well worth it!!!

bob svoboda
03-06-2011, 11:42 AM
Welcome to the world of turning. Sounds like you are off to a good start and taking lessons is a terrific way to shorten the learning curve. Will look forward to seeing your work.

David E Keller
03-06-2011, 1:42 PM
Welcome, Bob. The lessons will pay dividends for years to come. Looking forward to seeing your first bonker.

Faust M. Ruggiero
03-06-2011, 2:46 PM
Good use of your money. You will enjoy it for years to come.
faust

Steve Kubien
03-06-2011, 6:26 PM
This same lathe was my first and I still use it for demonstrations. It's a great little machine. Lots of mass for a mini lathe and easy enough to clamp down when you get out of balance pieces spinning faster than you ought. DAMHIKT

Jim Leslie
03-06-2011, 7:46 PM
Welcome Bob! Hope you know about the Calgary Woodturners Guild?