PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Burl Natural Edge bowl with Silver leaf and chemical patina

Jeff Myroup
03-05-2011, 5:57 PM
I made this bowl as a donation to a friend's daughter's school fund raising auction. It is about 8-9" diameter, and about 3" deep. It went for $175.00 in the silent auction. The outside of the bowl has silver leaf and a potash patina. I was hoping it would do better, but it raised more than I would have sold it for.

John Keeton
03-05-2011, 6:13 PM
Jeff, I like that one!! Did you just apply the potash directly to the leaf? Do you rinse it off? Curious on the process. Thanks.

Jeff Myroup
03-05-2011, 6:43 PM
Thanks John.

I dissolve the sulfated potash in warm water. I buy it pre-measured, so I use 2 ozs water. You can not store sulfated potash once mixed with water. It has a very short shelf life. There are many ways to apply the patina. I use a sea sponge and dab it. David Marks uses cheese cloth to get a "net" type pattern. Any area where the patina touches will react. I don't let the silver get to wet or it will come loose from the sizing. You can always add more. It takes several minutes to react. It immediately turns a gold color then magenta and finally a blue color. You can stop the reaction by drying the piece. I blot it dry with a paper towel. I stopped this one in the Magenta range. I have a plate I am working on now that I took all the way to blue and green (shown below in the Sadie plate). I don't rinse the piece. Let it dry for a day and then put on your finish. I use spray lacquer.

If you are going to try some of this, I would suggest you start with copper and dutch metal. They are thicker and are easier to work with, and cheaper. You can also buy the leaf at any hobby store. I use barium sulfide, and sodium sulfide on these metals.

Jim Burr
03-05-2011, 6:49 PM
Jeff, this is one of those that we can't possible grasp if not in person. The silver idea is really great and the pictures don't do it justice. Great shape on the bowl and a big well done on the NE. Do you think the patina continue to develop over time? Nice sale for a great cause!!

Jeff Myroup
03-05-2011, 6:55 PM
Jeff, this is one of those that we can't possible grasp if not in person. The silver idea is really great and the pictures don't do it justice. Great shape on the bowl and a big well done on the NE. Do you think the patina continue to develop over time? Nice sale for a great cause!!

Thanks Jim.
The patina is stable and won't go any further since it is sealed in lacquer. If it was not sealed it would oxidize more. The process is pretty simple, and you can play a lot with it.

Michael James
03-05-2011, 7:34 PM
Very impressive piece. These chemicals are light yrs away from where Im at, but I enjoy looking! Thanks for posting and the description of the process.
mj

Nate Davey
03-05-2011, 8:33 PM
Jeff, do you mask the wood so the Potash doesn't get on it?

Jeff Myroup
03-05-2011, 8:43 PM
Nate the whole bowl was sprayed with lacquer prior to gilding. So there was no need to mask anything. if you get any potash on unsealed wood, just let it dry, and any discoloration can be removed with 400 sand paper. I only worry about it on a light wood like maple. Dark wood you would never notice. The potash when mixed with water is a yellow color

Nate Davey
03-05-2011, 9:01 PM
Thank Jeff, very interesting and something I will try. I have copper adhesive backed tape I use for stained glass. Will do some experimenting.

Jeff Myroup
03-05-2011, 9:13 PM
Thank Jeff, very interesting and something I will try. I have copper adhesive backed tape I use for stained glass. Will do some experimenting.

Just make sure there is no finish on the copper.

Bob Bergstrom
03-05-2011, 9:32 PM
It is a shame you didn't get a pic of it turned over. As stated previously, pictures can't show the multitude of colors it reflects in the light. Having seen it at the club meeting was a real treat. Thanks for sharing and next time take a pic of the bottom. See you at Illiana next week.

Jeff Myroup
03-05-2011, 9:48 PM
It is a shame you didn't get a pic of it turned over. As stated previously, pictures can't show the multitude of colors it reflects in the light. Having seen it at the club meeting was a real treat. Thanks for sharing and next time take a pic of the bottom. See you at Illiana next week.

We can play with my new thompson gouge and handle. It should be here on Tuesday. We also need to work on the AAW piece.

Curt Fuller
03-05-2011, 9:54 PM
That's a very nice bowl and a very interesting technique for finishing it.

John Keeton
03-05-2011, 10:00 PM
Jeff, thanks for the info!! I will mark this thread for reference.

David E Keller
03-05-2011, 10:31 PM
Very nice bowl and an informative thread as well. Congrats on the fund raiser. I'm already looking forward to your next piece.

Bernie Weishapl
03-05-2011, 11:20 PM
Really nice bowl. Thanks for sharing the info.

Steve Schlumpf
03-06-2011, 12:17 AM
Very interesting bowl! Love the colors and the silver! Have not seen this effect before and it sure gets you to thinking! Nice work! Thanks for sharing!

Chip Sutherland
03-06-2011, 12:17 AM
Do you have a source for the chemicals you used?

I have only patina'd copper and copper leaf using a diluted white vinegar and salt solution.

Jeff Myroup
03-06-2011, 12:40 AM
Do you have a source for the chemicals you used?

I have only patina'd copper and copper leaf using a diluted white vinegar and salt solution.

Chip I get mine at artchemicals.com

Kathy Marshall
03-06-2011, 12:51 AM
Very nice bowl Jeff! and congrats on the fundraiser sale!