PDA

View Full Version : Monster hollowing rig, first tweak

Alan Zenreich
03-05-2011, 5:03 PM
In another thread I mentioned that for some pieces I might like a shorter boring bar than the 12" bar that comes standard with the Monster rig.

I don't know if there is any real gain to shortening the bar, but for some small forms, it seems to be that there may be a benefit from having the articulating arm closer. This also shortens the extension necessary for the laser arm, which I'm thinking should reduce any flex... useful for very thin wall subjects (my first piece is using a NanoTools bit should have walls about 1/10" thick, so any precision/rigidity is welcome).

Because Monster doesn't sell a shorter main boring bar, I thought about making one myself. Then while thinking about how I was going to do this, where I'd get the round bar stock from and how to turn it... I had an epiphany. I didn't need to create a shorter bar at all!

The stock kit ships with a 3/4" x 5.5" extension boring bar that slips into the 3/8" hole at the front end of the 3/4" main bar. The main bar has the back end turned down to fit in the 5/8" hole in the last block on the articulated arm.

So to use the extension bar instead of the main bar, all I needed to create was a spacer/bushing that made up the difference in the diameters, and leave a slot for the fastening screws, so they can snug up the rod.

So I got to use some of my metalworking toys.

I took a short piece of 5/8" aluminum rod to my mini-metal lathe and drilled a 3/8" hole down the center, then parted it off to 1.5" long.

Next stop was the mini-milling machine to cut the slot with an end mill.

Finally, a little filing to soften the sharp edges left by the milling.

Of course, this could have all been done with a drill press and a hacksaw, but those toys aren't nearly as much fun.

Slip the finished spacer over the end of any of the pieces that normally go into the end of the main boring bar, and insert into the block... tighten the screws and you're done.

I used a slot instead of two oversize holes to make it easier to position the slot relative to the screws, and this also will let me use a thin piece of keystock if I decide that I don't want the screws digging into the metal of the inserts. The stock monster inserts have countersunk areas that correspond to the smaller screws on the boring bar. The larger screws on the block are spaced a little differently. I don't think it matters at all, but tweaking is tweaking.

The photos show the spacer and how it's used with a combination of the extension bar and a tip. Also shown is using just the tip (I have no idea if this is at all useful, but hey, I'm playing).

So, I don't know if this is solving a problem that doesn't really exists. However, this simple piece of metal allows me to attach any 3/8" item into the block. So the new toy has a new toy.

I hope others find this useful, or at least entertaining.

What do you think?

Gary Max
03-05-2011, 5:39 PM
Why do you need a monster to turn a Mini--------????????, or is that where the term overkill comes from-----?????????
Sorry it just doesn't make any sense to me.

Alan Zenreich
03-05-2011, 5:50 PM
I don't need a monster to turn a mini... typically I'd do these handheld with the Nano Revolution tools.

I have a bunch of mulberry and other wood that's waiting for me to do normal size hollow forms and bowls.

However, I started this hollowform a few weeks ago, while I was waiting for the Monster to arrive, and set it aside to work on other projects.

So I thought it would be fun to see how small/thin a project that I could do with the Monster, and get used to precise laser positioning, to complete this little piece.

When speaking to Randy at Monster, I asked him if he made a shorter bar. He said that his customers were looking to go deeper, not shallower. Those that know me, know that I'm always pushing/adapting tools to do something that wasn't in the original design.

Jim Burr
03-05-2011, 7:00 PM
You know Alan, the same differential applies to short or long, so I think your solution was well thought. For "squat" HF's the short idea may alleviate several base position changes. Well thought idea:cool::D

Peter Fabricius
03-05-2011, 8:22 PM
Hi Alan;
I really like the way you think. The possibilities are endless if we just solve the little things that seem to get in the way. Deeper and bigger is probably the norm but why not think about the little tiny stuff as well. The Monster precise control really allows you to do fine work so why not use it.
I just used mine to finish a large open mouth vase that I had started months ago. I got the walls nice and even with the Monster. Necessary? - No but, fun and challenging to do.
I really like your little bushing, nice job and thinking outside the box. Randy is probably still scratching his head... I am hoping he will establish a User Ideas space on his Web site for us to post our ideas for other Monster users to see.
Thanks.
Peter F.

Alan Zenreich
03-06-2011, 3:31 PM
The monster rig worked very well with the Nano Revolution tool bit on the little hollow form.

The laser certainly helps, especially considering that the walls of the stabilized buckeye burl form are less than 1/10" thick.

I'll start another thread to gather some ideas on how to proceed to the next step of the project.

In the meantime, I drilled a few more holes in my rolling-stool-turned-tool-rack to hold the Monster's bars, bit holders and bits. So far, so good.